Topic: Problem with FW800 connection between Mac Pro and Fireface 800

I bought about three years ago a Mac Pro and an RME Fireface 800. Right from the start, FireWire 400 worked fine, but when connected to FW800 - did not recognize and did not show anything, it seemed that nothing I did not care ... I had Leopard and had the drivers and firmware updated. After I contacted the seller (Music Store) and I answered that it was an issue between Apple and RME, who spent some time will do the update and it will solve the problem ...
Today, I have the Snow Leopard, I have all updates to the drivers and firmware Fireface 800 and still have the same problem ....!!!! I can only use the FW400. I just bought the Fireface 800 to be able to use the FW800 connection ...! Please tell how can I resolve it?? Has anyone had this problem and managed to solve?

Thank you very much

Re: Problem with FW800 connection between Mac Pro and Fireface 800

There was never any problem with the Mac Pro Firewire 800. Did you try a different cable? Did you try both ports on the Fireface? Did you try the front vs rear port on the Mac Pro?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

There was never any problem with the Mac Pro Firewire 800. Did you try a different cable? Did you try both ports on the Fireface? Did you try the front vs rear port on the Mac Pro?

I tried to connect the two entries in the Fireface 800 and also tried connecting the Mac Pro in front and behind, but without success. Just do not try another FW800 cable. I'll buy a new cable and then tell the result. Thanks

The Firewire 800 connection to a Fireface 800 is unnecessary for one unit; and this is reserved for chaining multiple units !
Stay with Firewire 400 _

MacPro 2 X 2,66 Ghz with 12 Go RAM & Fireface800 X 2 _ Digital Performer 8.07 _ Kontakt 5 _

It is unnecessary but should work fine on Mac, just as well as Firewire 400.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I use the 800 connection on a Mac Pro and it works fine (Single Unit), although it didn't always (with Leopard), but Snow Leopard has been fine. A new cable is an obvious step to take, but also check you are not sharing anything else on the same bus, and that includes things connected on the Mac Pro 400 ports. Did you check the system profiler to see if it is showing up there? The FF800 seemed to work better on the rear port for me with nothing sharing the same bus. I purchased a couple TI based PCIe FW cards for my other kit. Excuse me if that is all obvious and you have tried that, just sharing my previous experience.

Cheers.

*MacBookProEarly2011*13" Core i7*OSX 10.7.2 *Logic 9.1.6* 4GB RAM *FF800(3.06 / 2.77)*

I'm happy! I bought a new cable fw 800 and works fine! Thanks everyone!:-)

Just one question .... The converters of the RME ADI-8 QS is equal to or better than the Fireface 800? Thanks

The QS is RME's premium converter.  IIRC basically the same as the M-Series.  Should be a step above the FF800's converters IIRC.

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Randyman... wrote:

The QS is RME's premium converter.  IIRC basically the same as the M-Series.  Should be a step above the FF800's converters IIRC.

cool

Ok, thanks