Topic: Experiencing "Loopback" Noise

I'm having a noise issue that just popped up.  I'll try to explain exactly what's taking place but it's totally unacceptable and could use some help.

My "normal" input chain is this: 

Mic > A-Designs Pacifica > A-Designs Hammer EQ > Chameleon Labs 7802 Opto Com > Mytek 96 A/D > Multiface II via SPDIF > DAW which is Sonar 8.53.

This works beautifully.  No issues at all with noise.

"Mastering" input chain is this:
After I do a mix, I've been (lately) going out of the Multiface II and BACK through the Pacifica > Hammer > etc.  THIS IS WHERE I'M EXPERIENCING WAY TOO MUCH 'COMPUTER NOISE'. 

(So the difference between the "normal" input and the "Mastering" input chain is a loop back through the Multiface via analog outputs 3/4 going into the line inputs on the Pacifica (instead of the XLR mic preamps on the back of the unit)).

I've eliminated the analog cables (using Monster Cable S 500 cables) by trying other cables.  I've eliminated the digital cable by trying different coaxial cables AND optical cables- all make no difference.  I've eliminated the Mytek because when in the "Normal input" all is well.  I'm thinking it's something with the looping via the MultiFace because when I unplug the two analog cables at the MultiFace- the noise goes away. 

Could this be a clock/syncing issue?  (I'm not using a word clock).  The noise is very evident and unacceptable and I'd love to try to resolve it.  Further, I'm not bashing the MultiFace at all.  It's been a workhorse in my studio for three years now.  Just trying to resolve the issue.

Re: Experiencing "Loopback" Noise

Sacalait wrote:

I'm having a noise issue that just popped up.  I'll try to explain exactly what's taking place but it's totally unacceptable and could use some help.

My "normal" input chain is this: 

Mic > A-Designs Pacifica > A-Designs Hammer EQ > Chameleon Labs 7802 Opto Com > Mytek 96 A/D > Multiface II via SPDIF > DAW which is Sonar 8.53.

This works beautifully.  No issues at all with noise.

"Mastering" input chain is this:
After I do a mix, I've been (lately) going out of the Multiface II and BACK through the Pacifica > Hammer > etc.  THIS IS WHERE I'M EXPERIENCING WAY TOO MUCH 'COMPUTER NOISE'. 

(So the difference between the "normal" input and the "Mastering" input chain is a loop back through the Multiface via analog outputs 3/4 going into the line inputs on the Pacifica (instead of the XLR mic preamps on the back of the unit)).

I've eliminated the analog cables (using Monster Cable S 500 cables) by trying other cables.  I've eliminated the digital cable by trying different coaxial cables AND optical cables- all make no difference.  I've eliminated the Mytek because when in the "Normal input" all is well.  I'm thinking it's something with the looping via the MultiFace because when I unplug the two analog cables at the MultiFace- the noise goes away. 

Could this be a clock/syncing issue?  (I'm not using a word clock).  The noise is very evident and unacceptable and I'd love to try to resolve it.  Further, I'm not bashing the MultiFace at all.  It's been a workhorse in my studio for three years now.  Just trying to resolve the issue.

Hey there,

Can you define 'noise' more please? It could be something to do with your routing in totalmix, or even a broken output on your multiface. Have you tried other outputs on the multiface?

Isaac P.

it's 'motorboating' or 'computer noise'.  I'll try different outputs than 3/4 and see if it helps.

Thanks for the response.

I believe I've figured out it IS cables- or the type of cable.  Seems the Multiface doesn't like unbalanced cables at the outputs.  I haven't tried a balanced TRS cable yet but I did go from the digital out of the Multiface into another SRC and back into the Pacifica via balanced XLR cables and the noise went away.