Topic: Fireface UC distorted audio problem

I am using the Fireface UC on a 2008 unibody MacBook (Core 2 Duo 2.26 with 4GB Ram).  When I plug in the Fireface UC's USB cable I often times get distorted audio.  The only fix I've found for this is to reboot my MacBook. 

I think my problem is related to the fact that I simply yank the USB cable (after all audio apps are closed) when I am ready to take my laptop to another location.  Is there a more proper way to unmount the Fireface UC?  If not, is there a way to fix the distorted audio without having to reboot my computer?  I've tried switching sample rates/clock source/etc..., but nothing fixes the distortion but a reboot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Fireface UC distorted audio problem

Do you have Parallels or VMWare on your Macbook? This is a known problem with the USB drivers of virtual machines.

best regards
Knut

I do have VmWare Fusion, but it's not running at all when this occurs.  In fact, I rarely use it at all.  How would it affect the USB audio if it's not even running?

It installs a driver which affects USB even when it?s not running. You can remove it only completely with a deinstallation program from vmware.

best regards
Knut

The next OS X update lists a fix for this for both Vmware Fusion and Parallels Desktop.

If this is the cause, then how can a reboot fix things?  Wouldn't I always hear distorted audio?

7 (edited by oblique strategies 2010-09-24 15:10:00)

If you use Audio MIDI Setup to select the FFUC for sound output, do you de-select it before you unplug the USB cable? Do you turn the FFUC off before unplugging the USB cable?

oblique strategies wrote:

If you use Audio MIDI Setup to select the FFUC for sound output, do you de-select it before you unplug the USB cable? Do you turn the FFUC off before unplugging the USB cable?

No, I have just been yanking the cable.  But doing so after any audio apps are closed.  Are you referring to System Preferences | Sound In/Out (in Snow Leopard)?

I'm referring to Audio MIDI Setup, located in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder. You use it to select which audio &/or MIDI interface(s) the computer uses for audio input & output. It gives you more extensive control than the Sound System Preference. For example, you can create Aggregate Devices here too that combine multiple audio interfaces, including the built-in inputs & outputs.

If you're using the Sound System Preference, then the same troubleshooting step can be taken: de-select the FFUC before pulling the cable.

Next you may have to figure out if the turn on/plug in cable order has any negative effect. Step-by-step!

Yes, I'm referring to Snow Leopard, but Audio MIDI Setup is in Leopard & Tiger as well.

Ah, wow.  Learn something every day!  Thanks, I will try that over the next couple of days and report back.

I just tried this method for the first time.  In the Audio Midi Setup app, while the Fireface is still plugged in, I selected the "Built-In Output" and rt clicked and chose "use this device for sound output".  I did the same for "play alerts and sound effects through this device" and it worked.  So far so good.

I need to test it more to see if this solution works consistently.  I will keep you guys posted.  Thanks again!

Just tried it again today and it didn't work.  I plugged in the Fireface UC usb cable, powered on the Fireface UC, then awoke my laptop from sleep.  Then I went into the Audio Midi Setup app and selected "Fireface UC", then rt clicked and chose "use this device for sound output".  Then played a mp3 file and it was garbled sounding.

Back to square one.  Ughhhhhhh.

13 (edited by Timur 2010-09-28 13:30:02)

So you have to wait for the next OS X update, which is announced to address this problem. I'm also in contact with the developers of Parallels, so hopefully we can get rid of the issue anytime soon.

Right on.  Fingers crossed.  I will report back after the next update is released and I test it.  Thanks guys!

15 (edited by oblique strategies 2010-10-01 09:01:05)

nack wrote:

Just tried it again today and it didn't work.  I plugged in the Fireface UC usb cable, powered on the Fireface UC, then awoke my laptop from sleep.  Then I went into the Audio Midi Setup app and selected "Fireface UC", then rt clicked and chose "use this device for sound output".  Then played a mp3 file and it was garbled sounding.

Back to square one.  Ughhhhhhh.

Keep varying the variables ! :-) Try different variations.

Maybe you should avoid putting your computer to sleep.

Personally, I find that putting the computer to sleep or logging out of my user account with the FFUC attached can be problematic. But these problems are intermittent, & not easy to duplicate or pin down.  Fortunately, I only put it to sleep to make the cinema display function with the laptop screen off, & I usually de-select the FFUC in AudioMIDI first, which usually averts issues.

Good luck.

Update: Apple has seeded a new version of Mac OS X 10.6.5 to developers this evening.

oblique strategies wrote:

Keep varying the variables ! :-) Try different variations.

Maybe you should avoid putting your computer to sleep.

Personally, I find that putting the computer to sleep or logging out of my user account with the FFUC attached can be problematic. But these problems are intermittent, & not easy to duplicate or pin down.  Fortunately, I only put it to sleep to make the cinema display function with the laptop screen off, & I usually de-select the FFUC in AudioMIDI first, which usually averts issues.

Good luck.

Update: Apple has seeded a new version of Mac OS X 10.6.5 to developers this evening.

I use the same laptop in my home studio and at my day job.  Every morning and evening I use it in my studio and during the day it travels with me to my day job.  I have to put it into sleep mode.  There's no way I am going to shut down 2-3 times per day. 

Hopefully when the new 10.6.5 is released to the public it will fix this issue.  *fingers crossed*

17 (edited by oblique strategies 2010-10-02 01:18:36)

It can depend on which laptop you have. Since I have a 2008 MacBook Pro I would not transport it in sleep mode because the latches are prone to accidental opening. But I have never transported any laptop in sleep mode anyway because I'm extra cautious about things like that. Though some  preliminary research indicates that this may be a safe practice after all.

I've got my fingers, toes, & eyes crossed that the 10.6.5 release helps the problems I've had with the FFUC!

I own a 2008 13" MacBook (unibody model which they only made briefly before re-branding it as a MacBook Pro in early 2009).  I've been transporting it 2-3 times per day for the past 2 years in sleep mode with zero issues.  I put mine in a Booq case so there's no chance it would accidentally open.

A little update...

I've been using my NI Audio 8 USB interface (comes with Traktor Pro) along with Ableton in the same tests/scenarios I describe above with NO issues at all. 

Seems to me the issue isn't with VMware USB drivers or something with OSX, but rather the RME USB drivers.  Otherwise my NI Audio 8 interface would also experience the distorted audio problem. 

What do you guys think?

I think that with any computer system it is intertwined. it's a moving target since computer software & hardware is in a constant state of flux.

That said, I have experienced less issues with the latest drivers. So, my thoughts are that the next drivers will bring even more stability.

@oblique strategies Very true. I have seemed to find an audio interface that works on my system. Sucks that it isn't the Fireface. I will keep my fingers crossed that the next Snow Leopard + next drivers from RME fix the issue.  If not, I guess I am going to sell the unit.

All in all, the Fireface UC is the most unstable interface I have ever used. I continue to experience problems on a regular basis.

For example this just occurred:
While listening to iTunes I launched Disk Utility, & audio instantly became garbled. No other audio apps were open.
I de-selected FFUC in AudioMIDI, re-selected it, & audio was fine.

For me, and I do stress for me, this kind of fragility is par for the course I?m afraid.

I'd love to sell my Multiface & expresscard to recoup some of the cost of the FFUC, but until the FFUC becomes dependable I simply cannot.

Mine is also quite fragile.  It's frustrating, especially considering the hefty price tag.

I just updated to 10.6.5 and the latest Fireface UC drivers and firmware and after a day or two of thorough testing, this is STILL happening.  Ughhhh. 

Is my unit defective?  It's almost unusable if I have to reboot everytime I want to use my Fireface UC.  Any other suggestions?

To clarify, this crackling audio is happening ONLY when I remove the USB cable. I can actually just yank the cable, plug it back in and the audio is instantly crackling/garbled.  I don't think sleeping my computer has anything to do with it.