Topic: TotalMix External Summing question

I've been using Totalmix for awhile now, but today I ran into a little hiccup...  In my Cubase session, I've setup 8 Outputs, I've assigned various instrument to those Outputs, and can see all signals on the Software Playback row in TM...  The Software playback row has been panned to send the signal to it's own corresponding Hardware output.  Everything at this point seems to be okay...

Now for my problem...

The 8 outputs of my Hardware row are the 8 Analog outs of my Lynx.... These Outs have been patched to my Dangerous DBox... I press the sum button, and now it seems that although Totalmix is panned to the corresponding Output, it is also controlling the panning during playback...

Sorry if this sounds confusing, but any ideas...  I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, I just can't figure out what.

Jay

Re: TotalMix External Summing question

Maybe I need to rephrase this...  Is there a way to switch the Hardware Output configuration from Stereo Pairs to Mono Outputs.  The Dangerous DBox follows the Panning of my DAW.... I have 8 Mono Outs configured in my DAW...The Software Playback Row has to be panned in order to be routed to a specific Hardware Output, and this is causing me issues.

I've used the search function, and honestly the Answers were far from helpful... Answers like TM is a Powerful tool, once you figure it out, it's amazing... Doesn't really answer my question...

So if in my Summing Box I want the Kick going to Out1 and the Snare to Out 2.... My Kick ends up on the Left and Snare on the Right monitor, an so on...  Am I expected to recall TM's configuration, when it would seem more beneficial to have this info saved in my DAW session...

Confused...

Yes.. I run the same thing. But I use a SSL Alpha link.
Sounds like your missing the biggest part..

The D-Box can't do what your asking.
I use to have a Folcrom and I could do it because it had 16ch's and they could be STEREO OR MONO.

The D-Box only has 2 ch's that can be mono..That's 7/8.
Ch's 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 are stereo only.

So if you put the kick on 1 it would be left and snare on 2 would be right.

Yep - You'll have to combine kick and Snare to 1/2, or "waste" Kick on 1/2, and Snare on 3/4, etc.

FWIW I'll be making two $30 passive DB25 summing cables next week - they will be used with a Mic Pre for make-up gain, but should be very comparable to a Dangerous box IMNSHO w/o the bels and whistles wink  Sometimes DIY just plain rules if you can get past the "Bling" factor (and some clients can't - which is a valid point).

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8