Topic: Question regarding Babyface i/o

If I wanted to record a singer/songwriter, and wanted to put two microphones on his acoustic guitar and one on his voice, would I be able to do that with the Babyface? 

Or do I only have two inputs to work with total, in which case the Fireface 400 UC would be the better choice?

Thanks!

Re: Question regarding Babyface i/o

Both units only have 2 mic preamps. With the 400 or UC, you could add another preamp on a line input. To add more mic inputs to the Babyface you will need a preamp with AD converter and optical out (SPDIF or ADAT).

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks Jeff.

I have a Brent Averill 1272 Mic Pre Amp - http://www.highprofileaudio.com/BAE1272.html

Sounds like I should go with the 400UC (assuming the audio quality of the Babyface and 400UC are comparable). That way I would have 4 quality input channels to work with, correct?

Yes, but these are 2 different products you are combining. The Fireface 400 is a Firewire device, and the Fireface UC is USB2.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Yes, I meant the Fireface UC.

So with the UC I would be gaining two input channels but losing onboard eq/reverb in totalmix, correct? Is there any other significant differences that you are aware of between the two products? 

Thank you!

Correct. The Babyface has improved AD/DA compared to the UC, really the only difference worth mentioning (aside from what you already stated).

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Would the improved AD/DA make a difference in sonic quality?  I guess what I'm after is capturing the best quality tracks to work with.. and if I have to work with only two inputs then I'll figure it out.  I do like that the Babyface is smaller and easier to travel with but am not sure how to work with only two inputs.. I guess I could mic the acoustic w/ two mics and then come back for a 2nd pass at vocals, etc.

I'm new to this stuff and want to put together a quality rig that I can record my friends and live performances.

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions Jeff. I really appreciate it.