1 (edited by lolzgreg 2010-09-30 04:58:52)

Topic: RME FF800 Tick, Pop and frying noises, CPU spikes, sync loss

Hello,

Randomly, ticking and popping noises, as well as little blips will become audible while I am either playing back or recording audio. There are sharp, random CPU spikes on the ASIO Time Usage in my DAW that cannot be explained, and the ASIO Time/CPU is generally running at no more than 50% capacity. Often, shortly afterward, the sync of the audio will get chaotic, distorted, and the recorded tracks will not play back at the right speed. These noises return often, and are more severe at lower buffer sizes.

I have used the DSP checker tool and it says my computer is more than capable of handling audio recording, and none of the ASIO time overloads/CPU spikes are related to any of the minor CPU bumps in the DSP checker.

I am running Cubase 5 on Windows XP Home edition, Service Pack 3, with an Intel Q9450 processor on a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 mother board, a NVIDIA GeForce 7300GS graphics card, and 4 gigs of DDR2 ram. I have optimized my computer for recording through the use of various guides. Please help me solve this issue.

Thank you for your time,

-Greg

Re: RME FF800 Tick, Pop and frying noises, CPU spikes, sync loss

Bump for assistance.

When you say "that cannot be explained" I assume you already got through your lists of plugins, muted single and multiple tracks, checked routing and considered any kind of loop-playback? Does it make a difference whether you are using 48/96/192 samples compared to 64/128/256 samples buffer?

I will test this out further.

The thing is, when I don't touch anything, it just happens. It happens during tracking as well and I get little blips and pops.

5 (edited by lolzgreg 2010-10-02 05:52:48)

Timur wrote:

checked routing and considered any kind of loop-playback?

How would routing have anything to do with this? I'm just curious. All the routing seems fine.

Loop-playback. I'm a little confused.

I always record at 44.1khz, 24 bit.

I will admit the problem worsens at lower sample rates.

The thing I'm confused about is that there is no correlation between the ASIO Time Overloads in Cubase and the minor CPU jumps while using the DSP checker, and vice versa.

Thanks.

Well, there can be CPU spikes within your Cubase set, like things looping (CPU spikes with every loop restart), FX spiking on one CPU, load not being distributed evenly among CPU cores (routing!).

What about the 48/96/192 vs. 64/128/256 comparison, does it make any difference?