Topic: wich hardware to have more analog input on the fireface 800 ?

Hello
I use all the analog input on my fireface 800. i would like to plug more and use with another piece of hardware and get them back in the ff800 via adat.
wich rme device is the more affordable to have 8 analog input more ?
thank you
fr

Re: wich hardware to have more analog input on the fireface 800 ?

Most affordable RME product is probably the Octamic-II.  I'd look for a used ADI-8 Pro myself wink

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

So i understand that octamic or ADI-8 would be good solutions but as they are more expensive than an other fireface800, i think this is the most affordable solution. what do you think ?

2x FF800's is a good idea too, see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oibj81QIq4s

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

rogaroga wrote:

So i understand that octamic or ADI-8 would be good solutions but as they are more expensive than an other fireface800, i think this is the most affordable solution. what do you think ?

How many more inputs do you want?  And do they need to have microphone preamps, or will Line inputs do?

I also own 2 FF800 and would sometimes like to have more than 8 mic inputs. I don't want to spend so much money with octamic or ADI-8 as ff800's is quite a mature product now and should be replaced with something more reliable in a few years. I looked at behringer ADA-2000, which seems quite good product according to test reports and price. The only thing that bothers me is phantom switch for all channels together. Is there maybe analog solution (multichannel mic preamp) connected to ff800 line inputs that offers same or higher recorded sound quality as with Beh ada-2000 for approx the same price?

regards, kasaudio

@laurence payne : no i don t need preamps as i want to switch in synths. line input will work. i wish at least 8 or more inputs.

@kasaudio : thanks for your answer, but i think i am not in the same case as you as i don t need preamps.

Used ADI-8 Pros generally sell for $450-$600 if you can find one on eBay.  I bought two of them in that price range off eBay several years ago - much cheaper than another FF800 wink (but you need to have good timing to run across one exactly when you need it).

There are tons of ADAT Line Level AD/DA's out there - you don't have to stick with RME - but the used ADI-8 Pro's are rather nice for the price IMO.  Cheaper stuff like an ADA8000 or a Tango-24 might fit the bill - or you might want to stick with higher-end stuff (AD16x, Lynx, ADI-8, another FF800, etc).  Your call and certainly your cash...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Hello
i am still searching the converter. do anyone tried this one ?
? aphex systems 142

it's looking small and doing just what i need. No preamp.

thanks for advice

Hi,

the Aphex should work just fine. If you don't mind used gear and if you're on a tight budget, a used Sonorus/Swissonic AD24 is not all that bad, either... In principle, any 8-channel AD with ADAT will do.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

11 (edited by rogaroga 2010-10-27 12:05:33)

merci :-)

i saw a swissonic AD 24 on ebay, but it's still more expensive than the aphex.

So if i buy two aphex 142 units, can i dispatch the wordclock signal from the output of the fireface ? is there a kind of T for this ? is that working fine ?

thank you
fr