Topic: New Fireface UC, old TotalMix?

Hello.

I installed a Fireface UC on my Mac (OS 10.6.4) and my PC (Windows 7, 64-bit) using the latest drivers from the RME downloads page. I note that on my PC, the Fireface UC uses the old Totalmix (version 0.938). On my Mac, it uses the newer Totalmix FX (version 0.911).

Totalmix FX Matrix view on my Mac doesn't allow me to shift-click on an assignment to phase invert. Also, it doesn't always update correctly when changes are made in the Mixer view. Sometimes I have to double-click to create a new assignment, other times I can just single-click. All in all, the Matrix view doesn't seem to work all that well, unless I'm operating it incorrectly.

(1) Is this something that will improve with future updates?

(2) In the meantime is it possible to use the old-style Totalmix on my Mac?

Many thanks.

Jonathan.

Re: New Fireface UC, old TotalMix?

The current version for Mac is 1.47 and includes TM FX 0.913. Please try that one.

The Matrix has changed a bit as you can read in the Babyface manual:

?    Blue field. This routing is muted

?    Brown field. Phase 180? (inverted)

?    If input 1 is to be routed to output 1, use the mouse and click one time on crosspoint In 1 / AN 1 with held down Ctrl key. Two green 0.0 dB field pop in, another click removes them.
?    To change the gain (equals the use of a different fader position, see simultaneous display of the mixer view), drag the mouse up or down, starting from the gain field. The value within the field changes accordingly. The corresponding fader in the mixer view is moving simultaneously, in case the currently modified routing is visible.
?    On the right side is the Control Strip from the mixer window, adapted to the Matrix. The button for the temporary fader group is missing as well as all View options, as they don?t make sense here. Instead the button Mono Mode lets you decide whether all the actions performed in the Matrix are valid for two channels or just one.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by jg1983 2010-10-11 22:18:55)

Thanks for your quick response.

MC wrote:

The current version for Mac is 1.47 and includes TM FX 0.913. Please try that one.

When I click the "Fireface USB" driver version 1.47 link on the Downloads page, driver version 1.45 is downloaded, not 1.47. And when I install that, TM FX is now version 0.87.

Thanks.

Jonathan.

Thanks for the note. I corrected the two links for the UC and the BF. The version 1.47 for the BF (and UC) includes TM FX 0.912 at this time, 0.913 has no fixes and changes for you.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

jg1983 wrote:

Thanks for your quick response.

MC wrote:

When I click the "Fireface USB" driver version 1.47 link on the Downloads page, driver version 1.45 is downloaded, not 1.47. And when I install that, TM FX is now version 0.87.

Thanks.

Jonathan.

I'm curious as to where on the downloads page you guys are referring to. The latest driver for UC that I see is version 1.40. Am I missing something? Thanks!

As mentioned before in this forum the BF driver is the next generation UC driver.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ah, I see. I didn't catch that. So, is it official, or still in beta stages?

I think I've missed something: is it recommended to use the Babyface driver for the Fireface UC?

Wondering if it might improve the stability of my FFUC.

I'm running on OS X 10.6.4 on a MacBook Pro (early 2008)

9 (edited by asknone9 2010-10-13 01:24:24)

It's recommended at this point, but I can't be sure if it's officially THE driver for the UC or not, which is why I asked above. From what I've been reading, it seems that the Babyface driver is more stable, but you also have to take into account Apple's unresolved problems in regards to USB. They are working on those in 10.6.5, apparently. In my opinion, the UC seems more stable on the Babyface driver (1.47), but at most, the only problems I ever experienced on the 1.40 driver were short and intermittent audio dropouts.