Topic: Sample rate locked out and crashing using Cubase And Nuendo

I have a serious problem with Nuendo and Cubase.

There are times where I cannot playback projects recorded at 88.2kHz. It plays back, but at half speed. Looking into it, I see in the project setup window that 88.2 is orange, the text that is, and 44.1 is white and I can select it, but that sample rate alone. The only way to regain sample rate control and be able to work on 88.2 projects is to trash all my preferences and start from scratch. Then it works. It seems to go out all on its own. Not during a project, but after a project loads, the issue is there. I am not sure what to check. All windows sounds are disabled. There is nothing I can see that is hijacking the sound card. Also, when I click control panel in device setup from within cubendo, the program goes unresponsive. I found this when I just wanted to adjust buffer settings a week ago, so I worked around it and changed buffer settings by clicking on rme's shortcut to the soundcard control panel then the sample rate started getting locked out and I have been offline exchanging emails with SNA support to today I receive an email stating they need to contact Germany.

Yesterday, I contacted RME support and we narrowed the problem to cubase and nuendo. RME support had me download REAPER. In reaper, I was able to change the sample rate when I couldn't in cubendo. I can also adjust sample rate in RME's digicheck. So there are 2 outside applications that do whet cubase and nuendo should be doing. I have tried internal clocking and external clocking via word clock, clocking via AES and none of these correct the problems with cubase and nuendo.

This does not happen in the 64 bit versions of cubase and nuendo, but in those versions, there are plugin issues that cause spikes and crashes so they are not a workaround. Well, the control panel does open RME's control panel. When the 64 bit versions cascaded into plugin crash windows, I didn't consider then as a safe option for my client's sessions.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

System Specs:
Windows 7 64
Cubase 5.5 and Nuendo 5.01 both 32 bit
Rme HDSP AES-32
UAD Quad and UAD 1e
6 Gigs of ram
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
VGA GIGABYTE GV-NX84S512HP 8400GS R   
CPU INTEL|CORE I7 950 3.06G 45N R

Re: Sample rate locked out and crashing using Cubase And Nuendo

I have a few other similar reports for Cubase and Nuendo 5.5, even with Win XP SP2. Since Reaper and DIGIcheck are able to change the sample rate of the card as expected this seems like a Steinberg issue (also note version 4 Cubendo works as expected too).

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.