1 (edited by Davegravy 2010-10-31 21:57:39)

Topic: Future HDSP and TotalMix FX?

Hi,

I'm wondering if there will be a future model of the Multiface/Digiface that will support Totalmix FX?

Definitely no?
Not Probable? or
Maybe?

I love the multiface/digiface and I like that they have no mic preamps (No offense RME, I just don't like your pres!) I don't like paying for something I won't use so I'm not interested in the Babyface (also due to poor rackmountability) or Fireface or premium line.

I hope the Multiface/Digiface aren't at the end of their line!

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Future HDSP and TotalMix FX?

If it was out of the question RME would likely say so right?

So... safe to assume it's something they're at least considering?

It would be really cool if there was a way to put the extra DSP in the PCI card and make it backwards compatible with the original Multiface/Digiface boxes.  Can you say "upgrade path"? :-) (Can RME say "Cha-Ching"?)

Why would current Digiface owners upgrade a Digiface box - it doesn't have a "sound" of its own - so making an upgrade HDSP card with the Totalmix FX DSP would seem logical (if technically possible).  I guess Steadyclock might be a nice addition with a new Digiface revision - but most AD/DA's would be externally clocked in a Digiface system, anyway (no appreciable benefit with Steadyclock AFAIK)...

If RME does revamp the MF/DF - I hope the Digiface gets 4 banks of ADAT's plus simultaneous AES and SPDIF like the RayDat fryingpan .  A new Multiface should have no less than 2 banks of ADAT I/O - also with simultaneous SPDIF and AES.  High Power Headphone Outs are a must (maybe 2 pairs?).

Long live PCI!  I guess PCIe is alright, too rotfl (but currently too expensive).  I've yet to use a Firewire or USB interface on ANY of my DAW's - and proud of it!

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

4 (edited by undertone 2010-11-15 06:51:04)

Sadly PCI is on its way out and like ISA, it'll be gone in a decade or less. But you can't blame RME for having given us a great run for the money! I really respect them for this.

And personally I'd like to see ADAT disappear, replaced with a cheaper form of MADI. The Intel Lightpipe technology looks promising.

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1

5 (edited by Randyman... 2010-11-15 08:03:36)

undertone wrote:

Sadly PCI is on its way out and like ISA, it'll be gone in a decade or less.

Of course - but that's no reason to stop current development of PCI/PCIe audio interfaces.  Design for the hardware of today wink

I'm only suggesting that IF the Multiface/Digiface will be updated - it would be nice if the PCI/PCIe cards were backwards-compatible with current MF/DF boxes - and possibly with the addition of TotalmixFX DSP.  I believe the FPGA currently lives inside the MF/DF box, but maybe there is a way to suppliment with additional DSP on the PCI/PCIe card HeadScratch

Lightpeak seems functional for some applications - but I think an electrical connection is beneficial if for nothing more than its convenient ability to provide power and data in a single cable.  Lightpeak could get ratified to include an additional copper power feed when it leaps to 100GB/s - I'd be OK with that :-)  Otherwise I think USB3 has long legs for personal peripherals for the next decade and beyond - and is 100% backwards compatible.  USB3 might not be ideal for Audio - but I bet RME and other hacking geniuses will work it out (like RME did with USB2.0 only some 10 years after it was released - and it was thought to be completely useless for tons of low-latency I/O until the FFUC proved everyone wrong wink ).

Cheap MADI would be nice, too - but MADI is only like 15MB/s (125mpbs) max!  Fine for general Audio (I love it!) but too expensive.  I agree that we might as well future-proof out the ying-yang and use Lightpeak as a future MADI replacement, and get the benefit of mass-production pricing.  I'd bet the per-unit licensing on Lightpeak would end up cheaper than ADAT - and the components will be cheap.

MADI's jitter spec is pretty awful as-is, so I doubt Lightpeak would be much worse rotfl

Lightpeak seems to be "payload agnostic" - so you can basically use the Tx/Rx system for whatever data protocol you wish (MADI 2.0!).  Seems flexible for high-bandwidth requirements - those applications where USB3 won't suffice (USB3 will remain king on those personal gadgets that don't need more than 500MB/s or so - it should last a long long time for that task!)

Rock on  cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Though I'm sure RME has done a top notch job with USB 2.0 I'm still uneasy about it as an interface for audio from reading about all the problems during the early years.

That said, if it worked as reliably as the current multiface solution, I'd be happy with a multiface that had USB connectivity instead of PCI/PCIe. What I *DON'T* want is for the Multiface to die and to be limited to buying RME preamps with my RME interface.

There's always RayDat or MADI in tandem with external line-level AD/DA's, too wink  Used MADI cards are pretty cheap (saw a HDSP MADI sell for $400 about 4 months ago and I bought mine for $500).  Or even stick with the Digiface.  Then an ADI-8 can be had for around $400-$500.  That's a nice $1000 setup w/o a mic pre in sight :-) .  PCI will be viable for the next 3-4 or so years (we still have native PCI support on i7, and the next platform should as well) - and PCIe will likely be viable for twice that...

Like mentioned - I'm not partial to USB3 for pro-audio either (It will be an undeniable standard for consumer devices for the foreseeable future) - but USB can be used for extremely low-latency as proven by the FFUC, and now a few other RME boxes including the flagship UFC as icing on the cake.  I'd prefer Lightpeak for a future professional audio link - but I seriously doubt the differences would be that great if both were implemented to their full potential...

I personally think a Multiface with preamps is silly - and would compete directly with RME's other FFUC type offerings.  I don't think there is much to worry about there.  Or if it was to get preamps - it should follow the FF800 model with 8 line inputs plus a few dedicated preamp channels.  Don't worry - Sleep tight :-)

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX