Topic: Does the Reverb from the USB series run on DSP's?

Looks like a good product, but does it work like SSL where some of the processing is on the CPU or is it wholly a DSP affair?

Re: Does the Reverb from the USB series run on DSP's?

Separate dedicated DSP chip for the UFX, Babyface uses the FPGA + host computer for effects.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Is even the reverb DSP based?

If so I want it, if not, I may have second thoughts, unless of course it is an open architecture since I know things like TC electronic and so on are not programmable, except of course via firmware.

Thanks

Is even the reverb DSP based?

It is - but so far in the UFX only. But more important than the question how it runs is the integration in TotalMix FX, e.g. for creating a monitor or headphone mix with reverb inside TotalMix and without any other hard- or software.

best regards
Knut

Hi Jeff & Knut

In the manual it says that Reverb/Echo calculations are performed on the host CPU, but I'm hoping this is either incorrect or simply an implementation, since to only have eq (fantastic in and of itself being in the mixer) and yet reverb done solely in the host system doesn't seem to make much sense when so many non-FPGA systems use a combination of both surely must make a system more stable and to say most computers can "handle it" kind of misses the point of what a computer can do to precious "calculations".

In the manual it says that Reverb/Echo calculations are performed on the host CPU, but I'm hoping this is either incorrect ...

The UFX calculates all effects on an internal DSP hardware. The Babyface uses the CPU for the reverb/echo via an invisible audio bus - this is the only way with the complete USB bus-powered design, which allows no dedicated DSP. In the end it works exceptional good and gives all Babyface users a very useful and often suggested option - and this makes very much sense.

best regards
Knut

My mistake, earlier post edited.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Admin Knut wrote:

The Babyface uses the CPU for the reverb/echo via an invisible audio bus - this is the only way with the complete USB bus-powered design, which allows no dedicated DSP.

Thanks for clarifying, but when you say "effects" is it just the reverb/echo we are talking about?

I appreciate that even though it would be using CPU, that it would likely "kick @ss" on anything native but if the e.q. is all DSP then I am supposing it would be much more reliable than native (EQ) and actually be a pro tool rather than gimmick or otherwise mere audio interface.

The reason I am asking about the reverb is since I use cubase I am looking for an alternative to their arguably ridiculous buss design which I note many complain.

Regards

Jeff wrote:

Separate dedicated DSP chip for the UFX, Babyface uses the FPGA + host computer for effects.

Hi Jeff

So does the UFX use ASIC rather than FPGA, or is there multiple programmed chips?

All new gen technology so will take me a while to get my head around it all and understand.

Many regards

metcalfe wrote:

In the manual it says that Reverb/Echo calculations are performed on the host CPU

That was a copy error from BF to UFX. Please download the latest UFX v1.2 manual which is more accurate than the very first version.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

That was a copy error from BF to UFX. Please download the latest UFX v1.2 manual which is more accurate than the very first version.

Hi MC

It's probably the BabyFace I am most interested in but in any case I am glad for RME going down this road as it's good for innovation generally.

Anyway seems quite interesting this "virtual wire" into the host, is there any technical information on that, ie does it use K-mixer or CoreAudio on mac?

Thanks again dudes

ASIO on Win and CoreAudio on Mac.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME