Topic: New Laptop to use with FF400

Hi,

I'm looking for a laptop to take on the road using Ableton live and my FF400 and i'm struggling to find some help as i know its a mine field.

The model i'm looking at (because i can get it cheap) is Toshiba Portege R700-15W - Core i3 350M / 2.26 GHz - it doesn't have a firewire port but it does have an express card slot and i have a TI chip card. Does anyone have any experience with this or know if i'm likely to encounter problems?

Any info would be appretiated.

Cheers

Stu

Re: New Laptop to use with FF400

Hi Stu,
Looking at the specs in theory it might be OK.
The only thing the page mentions in detail is all the crappy software they load on it. Tons and Tons.
All the software bloat along may prevent the system  from working well for audio.
You will most likely be in for a long night of doing a fresh install of windows and tweaking to know for sure if the laptop will work.
It may depend on how of the power saving stuff can be turned off in the BIOs.
Unfortunately with a main stream laptop the only way to tell is to try it.
If any stores have one locally see if they will let you try out the FW express card and yo9u interface.
otherwise make sure where ever your buying it form has a very liberal return policy.

You will need a minimum of 4 gigs and I would try to get a 7200 rpm drive.
Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info, i'm gonna get hold of it and give it a try i think. I'll let you know how i get on!

Cheers

Stu

Hi,
any news about this setup ?