Topic: HDSPe w/ SSL Alphalink SX sample rate change problem

When i load a project in Logic 9 at 48k all is good, if i then open another project at 44.1k while Logic is still open the project loads but then i get no output from the HDSPe, i either have to restart logic and open the 48k project or re-assign the audio device to get it to work again. the HDSPe is the master clock and i only have 1 BNC cable connecting the WC out to the WC in of the alphalink. Thanks

Re: HDSPe w/ SSL Alphalink SX sample rate change problem

Is that a HDSPe MADI? Which firmware and driver version?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Is that a HDSPe MADI? Which firmware and driver version?

It is the HDSPe MADI, both are the most current versions

Sorry, but we heared this statement too often and it turned out to be wrong too often. Please give me the exact numbers.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by bluemoa 2010-11-14 05:57:51)

MC wrote:

Sorry, but we heared this statement too often and it turned out to be wrong too often. Please give me the exact numbers.

No worries, Driver 2.76 with Firmware version 25, OSX 10.5.8, here's some more info.

Model Name:    Mac Pro
  Model Identifier:    MacPro3,1
  Processor Name:    Quad-Core Intel Xeon
  Processor Speed:    2.8 GHz
  Number Of Processors:    2
  Total Number Of Cores:    8
  L2 Cache (per processor):    12 MB
  Memory:    8 GB
  Bus Speed:    1.6 GHz

Also, when i do change the sample rate the change is shown in the HDSPe settings program as well as the Alphalink but there is no audio output from the HDSPe. The HDSPe settings are (when it is not working):
56ch mode, 48k Frame, MADI Optical In, Single Speed enabled, Clock Mode: Master, Pref Sync Ref: WC, Sync check says no lock, MADI Sync, TCO No Lock, Sync In No Lock, Auto Sync Reference: Input Madi, Freq. 48k

When it does work SyncCheck says no lock w/ wordclock and Sync with MADI

It is also intermittent, sometimes i can go from 44.1k to 48k and it will work but then i go back and it doesn't and vice versa

Thanks. I am no expert when it comes to Logic - can it be that for changing the sample rate that it is required to close and reopen Logic?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Thanks. I am no expert when it comes to Logic - can it be that for changing the sample rate that it is required to close and reopen Logic?

No, it works just fine using core audio with built-in outputs, i have also used other interfaces like presonus firepod and line6 pod X3 and there are no problems. But like i said before, it will switch one time, from 44.1k to 48k or vice versa and work but when it switches back it will not.

Ok, we'll check this. One last question - when it is NOT working, do you see output levels in the second and third row of TotalMix?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Ok, we'll check this. One last question - when it is NOT working, do you see output levels in the second and third row of TotalMix?

Here are 2 step by step reproductions of the problem:
1) Open a 44.1k project in Logic, works normal, output levels are seen in totalmix
2) Close the 44.1k project and open a 48k project, works normal, output levels are seen in totalmix
3) Close the 48k project and open a 44.1k project, no output, no levels are shown in logic or total mix outputs
4) Close 48k project and open 44.1k project, same results as step 3

Scenerio 2
1) open a 44.1k project, works normal as in step 1 of first example
2) close the 44.1k project, open a 48k project, no output just like step 3 of first example
3) close the 48k project, open a 44.1k project, no output

I can switch between 44.1k to other 44.1k projects with no problems, i can also switch from 48k to 48k with no problems, it just happens when changing to the different rate from another, it is not project specific, any project in these sample rates gives me the same result. If you would like any more specific information please let me know. Thanks

fwiw i've seen things on other forums about Logic having a hard time switching sample rates (was that you?).  it might have been in one of the Alphalink threads i've been following.  anyway, even though the problem seems to be isolated to the RME card, i would suspect Logic is the where the fault lies.
cheers,
-charlie

charlie post | postproductions audio | music rec. & live sound- acoustic music

Well, I have some new developments. I upgraded to Snow Leopard and I no longer have the problem. Good times