Topic: Talkback mic signal in headphones?

Hello forum

Please forgive if this is an obvious HDSP thing but I?ve been trying to get my talkback mic signal routed so I can hear it in my headphones (headphones connected through the headphone output on my Multiface I). Looking through the HDSP manual I wonder if it?s possible at all or if I only can send the talkback signal out through either AN 1+2, AN 3+4 or AN 5+6 via jack outputs and then through a headphone amplifier to be able to hear the talkback mic in headphones? Any info regarding the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Robin

Equipment:
Multiface I
HDSP PCI
Software: Logic Pro 7

Re: Talkback mic signal in headphones?

Are you not able to select "PH-L/PH-R" in the "Monitor/Phones" slots in the Master Section in Totalmix?  The three "Monitor/Phones" slots are assignable - but I forget if PH-L/PH-R (the built-in HP output) is included in the assignments...

Worst case scenario if the above isn't possible:  Assign one of the "Monitor/Phones" slots to an un-used pair of I/O's, and physically patch (connect with a wire) the Output to a free input.  Could be SPDIF, ADAT, or worst case an Analog I/O patch (will add approx 2ms of conversion latency).

Since Loopback doesn't pass the "looped-back" signal THROUGH Totalmix (only to the ASIO driver as an input) - you can't use the easier "TM Loopback" method in this rare case.

With Totalmix - where there's a will, there's a way :-)

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Hi Randyman

Thank you so much - it went crazy here so I?m sorry it?s taken so long to reply here but I?m extremely grateful for your post.

As for:

Randyman... wrote:

Are you not able to select "PH-L/PH-R" in the "Monitor/Phones" slots in the Master Section in Totalmix?  The three "Monitor/Phones" slots are assignable - but I forget if PH-L/PH-R (the built-in HP output) is included in the assignments...

It doesn?t seem the PH-L/PH-R is included however - this worked great:

Randyman... wrote:

Worst case scenario if the above isn't possible:  Assign one of the "Monitor/Phones" slots to an un-used pair of I/O's, and physically patch (connect with a wire) the Output to a free input.  Could be SPDIF, ADAT, or worst case an Analog I/O patch (will add approx 2ms of conversion latency).

Since Loopback doesn't pass the "looped-back" signal THROUGH Totalmix (only to the ASIO driver as an input) - you can't use the easier "TM Loopback" method in this rare case.

With Totalmix - where there's a will, there's a way :-)

cool

I ended up using the worst case an Analog I/O patch - however since it?s only talkback I?ve decided not to fuss about the latency, cause it doesn?t "go on tape anyway". Just really happy I got the thing to work!

Thank you too for your:
With Totalmix - where there's a will, there's a way

I will definitely keep that in mind in other cases too.

Big, big thanks - I think I?m turning into a "happy HDSP" user which hasn?t always been the case - for that I really can?t thank you enough :-)

4 (edited by Randyman... 2010-11-21 00:12:36)

Cool - Glad the workaround worked :-)

FWIW - I checked Totalmix on my Multiface - and it did allow me to assign "Phones" to the Monitor/Phones 1/2/3 section.  Click where it currently says "A1 1+2" on the right hand side, and you will be able to select any 3 output pairs for the Monitor/Phones section.  These 3 assignable outputs will respond to Talkback in the "Main" section above it.

Edit:  This part of Totalmix:
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1904/tm1v.png

The Monitor/Phones section are the 3 assignable outputs that will be included in the Talkback group.  Change one of these to "Phones" and you won't need the patch anymore!

This should alleviate the need for the physical patch :-)

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8