Topic: Which RME card to feed my Apogee DA-16X and its 16 analog outputs?

want to switch to RME but don't know really which card would be the right choice for the mentioned configuration..

Re: Which RME card to feed my Apogee DA-16X and its 16 analog outputs?

Hi,
Any of the RME devices with more than 8 ADAT or AES/EBU I/O will work.
If you work at higher higher sample rates i.e. 96k then AES will be more convenient sense you do not have to deal with SMUX.

Here are some devices that will work.

HDSP 9652 PCI
HDSP Raydat PCI-e
Fireface 800
Fireface UFX
HDSP AES 32 PCI
HDSP AES 32 PCI-e

You can also use the HDSP MADI series card but will need to use one of their Digital Format converters to go from MADI to ADAT or AES and back.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg

Any of the RME interfaces with two or more ADAT outputs would do the trick.  If you want 16 channels at 88/96K, you'll need 4 ADAT outputs (Raydat, two Digifaces, or a MADI solution with the ADAT breakout box, etc).  There's quite a few options to choose from :-)

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Oops - ADK beat me to it!
fryingpan

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

5 (edited by ms70 2010-11-15 23:18:17)

thank you guys for the quick info !!! :-)

ok.. if i go for the HDSP AES-32 PCI (in need PCI, don't have PCIe), cos I would like to have the option to go 88.2 or higher, how do i connect it to my Apogee DA-16X..? There is only one AES SUB-D for input on the 16X and there are two AES SUB-D (1-8, 8-16) on the HDSP AES-32 PCI.. Is there a adapter cable (Y-adapter).. or how do you connect them?

Most AES DB25's are 4 In / 4 Out at 44.1-96K.  The DA16x seems to use the single DB25 for 8 Inputs (16 channels).  It does appear you'd need a DB-25 adapter to get the RME's 8 AES signals across its two DB25's (16 channels) into the DA16x's single DB25 Input...

If you don't like to solder - Redco will probably make a custom cable for you...

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Or get the Apogee XLR and TASCAM XLR breakouts, then connect the XLR connections together. Alternately, you can use the BOB-32 to break out to XLR from the RME side.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.