Topic: New desktop pc recommendations

I've been using a FF800 and an Octamic connected via adat perfectly under Win XP 32 bit SP2 3 gig RAM and cubase sx3 for 4 years.
It's been totally reliable, but it's time for an upgrade to cubase 5 and a new pc with 16 gig ram and windows 7 64-bit.

Can anyone please offer any component advice, or things to avoid

Motherboards are a huge question for me. I need a TI chipset again to ensure Firewire 800 is bulletproof, but which mobo and processor can anyone recommend? that's tried and tested.

Also, is Windows 7 stable for high end Daw with low latencies? ie 128 buffer-size
I had nightmares with XP service pack 3, but RME were fab  at tech support, and sorted me out going back to SP2.

I am a huge RME fan, but is Win 7-64 bit gonna give me stability? Will my old 32-bit plugins like atmosphere, and Kontakt 4 still work properly.

Any tried and tested advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks everso much,
Mike
Central Algarve Recording Studio...

2 (edited by Manolo 2010-11-17 22:21:23)

Re: New desktop pc recommendations

Unfortunatly, I can't advise you a Mobo I tested cause mine (ASUS P6T SE) doesn't have TI chipset but when I asked recommendations for a new DAW, someone advised me a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R which has a TI chipset http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc … id=3018#sp (I bought finally to a DAW builder and couldnt' choose my Mobo but as I don't use FW anymore, it's not a problem).

I use this ASUS Mobo with a core i7 920, a RME Fireface UC with Sonar 8.5.3 under Win7 64 bits and can run @ 48 samples buffer size without problems.

I let you the message I got for recommandations :

- Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R  Socket LGA 1366
- Any Core i7 CPU Socket 1366 CPU with at least 8mb cache - get the fastest one you can afford
- Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Cooler
- Antec P183 Case - remove the stock 120mm fans that come with it and replace them with Noctua NF-P12 120mm fans where / if needed
- 6 Gig  [ 3 x 2 ]  OCZ 1600mhz DDR3 Cas 7/7/7
- Nvidia GForce 8600GT - DVi output - Silent Pipe Cooling - totally passive, no fan [ its an older card but totally stable WHQL certified Windows 7 X64 drivers ]  and runs Windows 7 Aero beautifully and perfect for a DAW - dont get a high end gaming video card - stick with Nvidia - nothing wrong with ATi but Nvidia were a foundation Windows 7 partner and their Win 7 drivers are less intrusive for a DAW whereas the ATi drivers are aggresivley optimzed for gaming / 3D
- Windows 7 X64 O/S