Topic: Guitar direct to Multiface II?

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a Multiface II and ExpressCard for use in my laptop.  I use amplifier simulation plugins, and so would like to plug my guitar and bass directly into the Multiface II.  Will this work, or is some kind of direct box or pre amp needed?

I would also like to record vocals.  As the Multiface II has no XLR input, and because a pre is necessary for microphones, can I plug a microphone into a DAV BG1u (http://www.davelectronics.com/bg1u.htm) and plug the unbalanced 1/4" outs into the Multiface II 1/4" inputs?

Thanks

Re: Guitar direct to Multiface II?

I did some more reading and know that plugging guitar direct requires hi-z inputs.  does anyone know the input impedance on the Multiface II?  this makes or breaks my purchase unless someone can recommend an affordable di that can do this for me.

thanks!

You will need a DI. If you can't get recommendations for a DI here, try Gearslutz or so...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks Daniel,

I have read extensively that Radial makes great DIs and I'll be looking into it further.
For now, can you confirm that this model would work?  http://www.radialeng.com/re-jdi.htm

Any DI should work in principle, there are no specific compatibility parameters.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Sounds great, thanks for the help.

Sorry, I just realized that the Radial box only has an XLR out.  Can I simply use a cable that is XLR on one side and TRS on the other to plug into the Multiface II?

Yes, an XLR to TRS cable should work just fine

Thanks Filch!

I believe you will need some gain as well, no?  Most direct boxes (except for a few like the Avalon U5) spit out mic level or a little hotter than mic level.  Not +4dBu "line level" like the MF is expecting...

You will get a signal, it just won't be very hot coming off any type of passive guitar or bass (probably below -20dBfs).

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

The Line inputs can also be used as instrument inputs. Active instruments can be connected directly. Passive
e-guitars require an additional impedance buffer. Most guitarists have one, but don't know that they do. Modern floor effects devices are active even in bypass mode, and then operate as impedance buffer.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So a passive Radial DI will make a Fender Strat with Single Coils spit out +4dBu into the Multiface? HeadScratch  I haven't found that to be the case - but that's me.  An active instrument - quite possibly.

The only DI's I use that spit out true "line level" with a Strat are the active Avalon U5 (has a Mic and a Line Level out) and the active GT Brick (a tube mic pre).  I still prefer to run the U5's Mic level out into a nice preamp...

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Thanks Randy and Matthias,

Your information has helped me do some more searching.  Could you both take a look at the Radial BigShot PB1 power booster and check if this would work?  http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-pb1.htm   -  I would really appreciate it!

Did you mention you were eventually going to need a Mic Preamp anyway?  You can just get a descent Mic Pre with a descent DI Input built in - or use a nice external DI with said Mic Pre.  Too many to name from $99-$9,999 :-)  Take your pick...

That box you linked to might work - but it's not really a "DI" and it isn't going to balance the signal if you have any appreciable length cable runs to your Multiface Box.  It is simply a buffered unbalanced gain stage with adjustable loading (drag control).

Some hotter humbuckers or other active instruments *might* have enough level w/o an added gain stage (a Mic Pre), but I know single coils through a Stomp Box pedal or passive DI won't hit the Multiface hard enough w/o some added gain (unless you don't mind recording with extremely low levels).

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX