Topic: Babyface

Hi all!

Just got a new babyface and I really enjoy it so far. As a RME user since the venerable DIGI9652 (which is a rare piece of computing gear that still works flawlessly after 10 years) I appreciate the no-nonsense approach. Also - grabbing the BF and an Octamic has to be the most mobile 10-mic field recording setup known to man (at least the only one with full 10x12 matrix mixer).

I'd like to offer a couple of ideas that I feel would enhance the usability of this kit with (probably, what do I know smile relatively minor development effort.

* When setting mic gains, the signal level is not visible on the hardware unit as the level meter is indicating the current gain.

With these wonderful multifunction programmable meters on the BF, why not use meter 2 to indicate mic 1 gain while meter 1 shows the input level? Vice versa when adjusting gain for mic 2. When adjusting both gain levels, could be kept as it is, or meter 1 shows gain and meter 2 some kind of combined information, like MAX L/R.

The feasibility of this depends I think on whether the FPGA drives the meters directly or if the driver actually controls the leds.

* There's an entire marketing effort / niche you seem to have missed!

BF and UFX have hardware EQs on each output. The first application that springs to mind here is room correction! I think RME needs to make some marketing hay about this. You already have a really nice spectrum analyzer in digicheck and EQ on your hardware outputs - why not add a simple noise generator to digicheck?

This would be even more appealing if the parametric Q went slightly higher (say 10). I assume (again, what do I know) that the coefficient calculations are done on the host, and sent over to the FPGA so this might be pretty easy too?

Anyway, props to RME and have fun,
Vesa