Topic: Audio Dropouts with RME Multiface and Cubase 5.5.2

I'm having some very disturbing intermittent audio dropouts with Cubase 5.5.2 and can?t determine the cause. It can happen at anytime during playback and can last as long as 20+ seconds. The system is brand new and this is a fresh installation of Cubase 5.5. The OS was tuned by Rain Recording before the system was shipped. Is anyone else experiencing this issue with 5.5? I didn?t have this problem with 5.0.
Here's the hardware detail:
? Rain ION (brand new) Windows 7 64 bit
? 2.8GHz AMD Phenom II X6 6-Core Processor (AMD Quiet & Cool control is [Disabled] in BIOS)
? 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel SDRAM
? 2 x 500GB SATA II 7200RPM High Performance Drive [32MB Cache]
? RME Hammerfall Multiface PCI bus (driver version 3.08.5 - most recent driver for 64 bit Windows 7)
? Buffer Size/Latency: 256 (6ms)...also tested at 512, but I really shouldn't need to go with a buffer this big.
? Disk Defrag Service is stopped...never started actually.
? CPU usage - not even close to being a problem
? Did not experience the issue with Cubase 5 prior to upgrading to 5.5.

I read the Cubase website that the firewire interface might be the problem and they suggest using a firewire PCI express interface with a TI chipset.     Below are the notes from the Rain Recording website and I'm wondering if this might be the solution.  It mentions that RME supports this PCI Express card.  Is this true?  Can I use this firewire interface with my Multiface (I have an older multiface...not a multiface II)

"Notes on FireWire IEEE1394 Compatibility and Texas Instruments Chipset.  Some FireWire audio interfaces have been known to have performance problems with certain FireWire controller chipsets. Currently the de facto standard for compatibility is the Texas Instruments FireWire (IEEE1394) controller chipset. Also known as the TI chipset.

To further ensure compatibility with any FireWire audio interface on the market, Rain Recording systems ship with two distinct FireWire chipsets which include the TI chipset.

About Laptops and third party FIreWire PCI Express Cards
If you are having issues using your FireWire audio interface with a Laptop that does not have the Texas Instruments FireWire controller chipset you can purchase a PCI Express card from the Rain Store. This PCI Express card will allow you to add two external FireWire 400 (1394a) 6-pin ports to your laptop and is designed with a Texas Instruments FireWire (IEEE1394) controller chipset certified for use with popular FireWire audio interfaces from PreSonus, RME, Pro Tools, MOTU and more.
Can I use my RME Multiface with the firewire card from Belkin below?
http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage. … _Id=281243

Re: Audio Dropouts with RME Multiface and Cubase 5.5.2

The Multiface does not use FireWire. Connecting it to a FireWire port will damage it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by rdsimmons01 2010-11-22 04:58:14)

I wish I'd know that before trying the firewire port.  The multiface is not working now..go figure.  What do I need to do to get it working again?

(it looks very much like a firewire port)

If you did connect it to Firewire, it might need repair now. Please contact the retailer or local distributor.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

5 (edited by rdsimmons01 2010-11-22 13:11:29)

So there's nothing I can do on my end?  I bought this unit in France many years ago.  I now live in the US.  There is no local RME dealer that I am aware of.

http://www.synthax.com/

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok...strangely..(and fortunately) the Multiface started working normally again after selecting another ASIO driver, rebooting and selecting the Hammerfall ASIO driver again. 

SOOOoo..back to my orginal question.  I'm having some very disturbing intermittent audio dropouts with the RME Multiface and Cubase 5.5.2 and can?t determine the cause. It can happen at anytime during playback and can last as long as 20+ seconds.  Anyone ever had this issue before?

you should be taking up these support issues with Rain,
in fact they should have set up your system for you with the multiface and Cubase installed.

oh wait i forgot no support or intergration from them without buying the $300 warranty.

so have you checked your DPC latency?
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml