Topic: setting fireface as default in macosx

Hi to all, just wondering if there is a way to get the fireface  400 to remain as main soundcard on mac osx 10.6 (..something i have the latest update)

When i restart,shut down, reboot etc it always reverts back to the inbuilt sound (imac 27 2.94 quad)

I have gone into system preferences and audio midi setup but can't seem to find a way to lock this setting like most other areas can be locked???

OBVIOUSLY IT'S NOT A HUGE DRAMA JUST A PAIN IN THE ASS TO SET IT RIGHT EVERY TIME I SWITCH ON smile

I prefer to have  alerts and skype etc go thru the inbuilt imac sound and just input and output thru the fireface, so my question is this..

Is there a workaround?
If so please advise and I will be gratetful to no end..cheers!!!

Re: setting fireface as default in macosx

Matty k wrote:

Hi to all, just wondering if there is a way to get the fireface  400 to remain as main soundcard on mac osx 10.6 (..something i have the latest update)

Yes, when set as default, it will remain default unless you change it. Even if you switch the FF on after the Mac boots, it should default back to FF again.

I prefer to have  alerts and skype etc go thru the inbuilt imac sound and just input and output thru the fireface, so my question is this..

This contradicts what you just asked. If you change default to built-in sound then the FF is obviously no longer the default.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

it hasn't remained as default for me like i wrote before. the only reason i want skype and alerts thru the inbuilt is so that they don't boom thru my monitors...

so i'll try again and see what happens, maybe by choosong everything to play thru fireface it will be smoother..i can hopefully adjust vol on sound alerts and skype respectively

This procedure should help:

1) open MacOS audio/midi setup;
2) in the audio window(upper left side), locate your RME card, click in it with right mouse button and set it to be your default output(a speaker icon will appear next to it);
3) click RME again with right mouse button and set it to be your default input(a mic icon will appear next to it);
4) next, locate your "built in" sound card and click with the right mouse button to set it as your system sound(a MacOS smile face will appear next to it);
5) Before configuring skype sound, reboot your system, open audio/midi setup and see if your configuration remained untouched.

Not sure about skype, but as far as I remember, you need to go to it's preferences menu audio tab to config your input/output. When you do it, go back and check if skype also changed your audio/midi setup configuration, 'cause that's probably will be the culprit.

hope this help

see ya