Topic: Problems with Fireface 800 & Sony Vaio laptop win7 / i5 / 64bit

Hi!

I've had my Fireface 800 since 2004, and it has been working like a charm ever since with my old setup (Pentium 4 Acer laptop with winXP). I updated my setup like a week ago. Bought a Sony Vaio z13m9e/b with Intel Core i5 460M 2,53 GHz, 4G ram, 128G SSD harddrive, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, 1024M dedicated graphic memory and a Lycom firewire expresscard/34 with 2 1394b and 1 1394a connections and TI chipset.

Yesterday I tried to install the FF800, and at first nothing worked. I sat here on this forum searching for about 4 hours in total. Updated the firewire drivers to 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy) and the FF started working. I was thrilled! Then I discovered (what so many on this forum has discovered before me) that there were a lot of scratching, popping and clicking going on as fast as I opened Cubase, tried to play music in VLC or even opened the Win audio preferences window.

I've tried a LOT of what you guys have recommended but nothing works. The thing is that everything is dead quiet (as it should be) when I'm not in any application that deals with sound. Even when I open VLC it's quiet, but as fast as I open a song the glitches starts. One weird thing is when I open the Win sound preferences (don't really know what it's called in english, sound dialogue box?), the noise only starts when I'm in the record/mic/input tab, not when I'm in playback or any other tab.. There are no conflicts as I can see. When I changed from a FW400 to a FW800-cable, the noise dissapeared slightly, but it's still there.

So I tried to delete some dual core keys in RegEdit that I saw in this thread: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7976 ,then I updated the graphic card driver to the Standard VGA driver, as Timur has been mentioning in a lot of threads. Restarted the computer after the update, and now all I see is a black screen. I come to the win opening screen, but after that; all black. I can't even come in to bios or to start the computer in safe mode. According to Sony, to enter bios you just have to press f2 or f2+fn, but neither that nor any other f-key works. I'm stuck!

I regret I deleted the reg keys.. But to switch the driver to the standard VGA shouldn't be a problem! I'm extremely frustrated as I'm in a creative flow right now and the music just comes out of me like well-smelling vomit. I want to save that vomit in Cubase!! smile

So, please don't say that I should search on this forum. I think I've read most of everything regarding this subject allready. I haven't tried the DPC latency checker or turning of the powermizer or aero (which I couldn't find), but I was going to before my screen turned black.

Hope that you guys can help me, I feel desperate! If you need more info on my system or anything, please ask! Sorry if I forgot to mention it in that case..

Re: Problems with Fireface 800 & Sony Vaio laptop win7 / i5 / 64bit

You should have started with checking for DPC's, this is the most common issue (and often easily rectified). At this point, you have a computer issue, not an RME issue. I expect your best bet is a Repair Install (boot from the Windows install disc). After you get the PC running again, start here: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1704

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Yep, I should've done that, but now it's too late. I didn't get any Win install disc though when I bought the computer (weird huh?), but that's easy to fix I guess. I'll get back on track as fast as I fix my black screen, thanks for your answer Jeff!

assuming the Vaio will even work for audio (doubtful)
never buy a firewire card thats dual port. buy only a firewire 400 card.
dual port anything is generally an issue.

Scott
ADK

Ouch. I didn't know that. So you're saying that this setup will never work, no matter how hard I try? Damn, then I guess I'll have to order a new single port FW card...

Finally got my computer up and running again, managed to get into BIOS.. So now I will try and try until it works. I'll check the DPC's and get back asap.

So, now I've run LatencyMon and this is one of the results:

---------------------------------------------

Highest DPC routine execution time (?s):  3384
Responsible driver:                       dxgkrnl.sys  (DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation)
DPC count (execution time <500 ?s):       7251066
DPC count (execution time 500-999 ?s):    14528
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 ?s):  0
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 ?s):  13214
DPC count (execution time >=4000 ?s):     0

Highest ISR routine execution time (?s):  188
Responsible driver:                       dxgkrnl.sys  (DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation)
ISR count (execution time <250 ?s):       3935663
ISR count (execution time 250-499 ?s):    0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 ?s):    0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 ?s):  0
ISR count (execution time >=2000 ?s):     0

Highest pagefault resolution time (?s):   496
Hard pagefault count (total):             29
Number of processes hit:                  1
Pagefault count of hardest hit process:   29
Process with highest pagefault count:     svchost.exe  (PID: 828, V?rdprocess f?r Windows-tj?nster, Microsoft Corporation)

Note: all execution times are calculated based on a CPU clock speed of 2526 MHz. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

-----------------------------------------------

I also took 2 screendumps on the processes if that could be of any help:

http://www.mrpony.com/whatever/screendump1.jpg

http://www.mrpony.com/whatever/screendump2.jpg

The highest DPC routine execution time varied between around 2500 - 3400, and the responsable driver all of the times were the same; dxgkrnl.sys, same as the ISR routine execution time.

The highest pagefault resolution time also varied from around 180 - 500, and the process with highest pagefault count was different each time (explorer.exe, WMIADAP.exe, svchost.exe etc).

When I ran VLC the DPC routine execution time was much higher than when I ran Cubase, what does that mean?

The CPU went up to between 25-30% depending on which application that was running.

I tried to find what was using the dxgkrnl.sys driver but I didn't find anything, I.E couldn't disable anything I wasn't sure of. Anyone knows what/where it is?

Thank you for all your help! Time to sleep.

Tried to rename dxgkrnl.sys in the system32 folder (there was a few other dxgkrnl.sys-files aswell, but I couldn't rename them without the authority of administrator. I thought I was admin, weird??) and restart the computer but the only thing that happened was that the graphics went 90's on me.. Bad resolution, bad everything (including the same clicks and pops as before with the FF800).. Please help!!! I really need to fix this thing as I'm currently working on 3 albums right now, and I don't want to switch back to my old system (allthough I guess I have to unless this doesn't work out in about 1 week or so).. Was just talking to a friend of mine and said that I was pleased with the setup I've got now. I'm satisfied with studio space, instruments, mics, preamps, outboard gear.. everything.. I just wanted a new computer and that was it. And now the FF800; my reliable companion for over 5 years, doesn't match with my new baby. It just sucks. I really don't want to go back to XP.

All right, so by chance I discovered that I only have problems with the headphone output, and evidently that's a problem other people have encountered too. I found this thread for example:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6954

I also really would like to know if there are any solutions to this problem. And if not, I would like to know approx how much I would have to pay to get a hardware fix-up.. I have no idea what so ever. 10 euros? 500 euros? Matthias Carstens writes:

MC wrote:

It is in your own interest to have the unit updated hardware-wise to be able to use the latest firmware and driver. And yes, this is not for free. If you insist on using the former state you can try to flash back to 2.47 as described in this forum.

As I have understood it, there is no way to use the FF800 with win7 unless you have done the latest flash update. In other words; there is no way to fix the problem unless you leave it in the hands of a technician for a small or big amount of money.. Am I right?

I have had the unit on now for about an hour, and the crackle doesn't stop as it did for other users.

Just realised that I have a recoring session next Sunday, and now not even my old setup (which I was planning on using) works! Well, it works, but how fun and pro does it feel that the musicians will hear constant crackle while tracking??

Oh how fun it is to talk to yourself while others are watching! :-)

I ordered a new expresscard today from a company that sells cards dedicated to audio or video. Hopefully I will receive it tomorrow, hopefully everything will work tomorrow, hopefully I will not write on this forum any more..

i hope that helps but i doubt it... as i said the laptop is the culprit..

a few things to try...
turn off in device manager ACPI battery, finger print scanner
turn off wifi
change power profile to full/performance mode.
change video to vga mode

Scott
ADK

My hopes were shattered.. The new super card (with 2 FW800 ports only) didn't work.I've allready tried everything you have suggested. Nothing works. I just can't believe that Sony Vaio would be a bad DAW laptop! There must be something to do!!

Please, RME support, tell me about the hardware tweak that Matthias Carstens was talking about in the other thread. What is it? Who is able to do it?

mrpony wrote:

My hopes were shattered.. The new super card (with 2 FW800 ports only) didn't work.I've allready tried everything you have suggested. Nothing works. I just can't believe that Sony Vaio would be a bad DAW laptop! There must be something to do!!

And then again, there may not be. Please consider the possibilty.

Please, RME support, tell me about the hardware tweak that Matthias Carstens was talking about in the other thread. What is it? Who is able to do it?

Which tweak/thread are you referring to?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yeah, by now I am seriously considering to buy a Macbook Pro instead. They cost about the same but (hopefully) they work better!

I was referring to this thread:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6954

After doing a quick search on FF800 and MBP 13" here on the forum I couldn't find a single easy-solved problem. That, plus the fact that it allready has a FW800-port and will cost me about 400 euros less, is a no-brainer. I'm going over to the Mac side. I've never used any Mac with bootcamp though, but I guess it's stable and good to use as your DAW. I mean, there are a lot of satisfied people in here that uses MBP, don't think I can go wrong. The only thing that worries me a bit is - will the MBP be VERY much slower than the Sony Vaio? The SV has an i5 core, SSD disc and 1G dedicated graphics memory while the MBP only has dual core, serial ATA drive and 256M graphics memory.. I work with film/video too, so the graphic part is almost equally important.. Any takes on this?

If you don't get answers here, try Gearslutz...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

18 (edited by mrpony 2010-12-08 19:11:38)

No offense, but I prefer taking this with the manufacturer's official support (you).

EDIT: what I mean is, regarding the MBP, of course I don't have to take that with you, but this is an RME related issue. I realised that it'll definitely not help if I go and buy a MBP. The problem will remain as I have the "buggy" rev of FF800 from 2005..

Now I'm only trying to get my old setup to work again. I down-graded the firmware to rev.2.47 and the drivers to 2.6.3.1. It worked for around a minute, then the sound froze (on the same tone, like a 50 ms loop). Sometimes I could even play a sound/song for almost 2 minutes before it happended. My problem is (and I'm fairly sure of it) a Fireface related issue, and not a computer or expresscard issue. I'm also fairly sure of that the problem lies with my FF beeing bought around 2005. You have stated that some of your machines from that period needs some tuning/tweak/fix up in the hardware, but nothing has been said of what the tweak actually means.

Now I've updated the drivers to 2.9992 (still on 2.47 firmware, which I know "shouldn't work", so don't tell me to update to 2.77, that's what I did in the first place to screw everything up). I have tried all kinds of combos between firmware and driver and nothing works 100%. Don't you have more fut's in your archive than 2.47 and 2.77? I will try to install even older drivers now (that pops up automatically in the menu of the driver update window).

Conclusion;
2.47 with 2.6.3.1 works like a charm for about a minute, then the sound "gets stuck".
With every other combo, the analog outputs on the back work but in the headphones out there's constant crackle.

And I am talking about a setup that has been working since 2005 now!
Next time you announce a new firmware upgrade, please inform about eventual risks too!

Tried everything that's possible now. Lastly I tried driver 2.63 with firmware 1.80. Worked for 2.5 minutes, then the same audio freeze. If I tried to go into the settings window, it tells me that I should update the firmware for the enhanced bla bla bla. But after that I can edit all preferences I want. Can you PLEASE mail me an older, funcional driver together with a compatible fut, RME support? I have googled drivers and fut outside rme-audio.de without any luck. The included drivers I got when I bought the FF is by now long gone.

I was talking to a tech of the official RME re-seller/importer/dealer in Sweden today (Fitzpatrick) and they didn't know anything about this problem. But the guy had some ideas of what to do (hardware-wise). I will take this up with him tomorrow.

Firmware 2.47 : https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tr … n_fire.zip
Driver 2.631 : https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tr … e_2631.zip

Both are available in the Driver Archive section of the RME website. This will avoid the problem you experience with the click on phones output. Other problems you experience are computer issues and cannot be fixed by RME drivers or firmware.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

As said in a previous post:

mrpony wrote:

2.47 with 2.6.3.1 works like a charm for about a minute, then the sound "gets stuck".
With every other combo, the analog outputs on the back work but in the headphones out there's constant crackle.

I have to disagree with you, I'm afraid. Yes, no crackle on phones output, but sound freezes after a minute. How come it has worked for me for 5 years and now all of a sudden it's "computer issues"? Kind of suspicious that it all happened after updating to newest firmware and latest drivers right? And I know for a fact that another combo works fine for my old computer, I just didn't think I had to write it up before i flashed the FF..

So once again; can you please mail me drivers (and/or a functioning fut) from 2005? When I downgrade the firmware to it's original state, it's rev 1.80 (I.E when I turn off the FF right after the flash update has deleted the files, and restart both the computer and the FF). Do you have any compatible drivers to that firmware version that you can send me?

You are not really clear in telling us what is going on. Are you still trying to get the Sony to work? Or did you revert to the Acer? If so, why do you need older drivers, they are still on that machine?

Finally: you could save yourself a lot of time and trouble by trying the FF on a different computer. The unit might simply be defective, and it could have happened just the time you tried to switch the computers. Not impossible.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hey Simon,

you e-mailed me, but I'm not quite sure if I can help here.

If I understand correctly the original issue was crackles, and we could have gone through some steps to find out if it's your Fireface or your setup. But then you messed with your setup and I'm a bit confused about what's currently what.

Now you get crashing, which is a new problem that needs a whole different angle.

What is your current setup and situation, what was changed on that setup since your originally used it?

MC and Timur, sorry if I don't make myself clear enough. I resolved the problem (black screen) with the Sony in my 4:th post. After that I ran LatencyMon (still on the Sony), as seen in my 5:th post. I didn't understand what to do with the info I got from there though, and I still don't.. And I still feel as stupid as when I begun.. ed:

Then I switched to my old Acer and discovered that I heard the same crackle in the phones out (which I've never heard before). It sounded just like normal when listening via analog out 1&2 on the back, I only had problems with the phones out. I then switched back to my Sony and listened via analog 1&2 out, and voil?, no crackle what so ever! Up until then I had only tried the Sony with the headphones. I still have a too high DPC count on the Sony, but everything sounds good (except for phones out).

The resolution to all this (hopefully) is: Tomorrow I will bring my FF800 to an RME tech here, and meanwhile he's tweaking the hardware he will lend me a new FF800 (nice guy huh?).

The reason I was asking for older drivers or older fut's was because it seems to be a mis-match between the drivers I have on my Acer and the 2 fut's that exists here on the RME webpage. I've got 3 older drivers (that you can't download from here) that I can install on my Acer, but noone seems to work with the fut's..

Have I made myself clear(er)? Sure hope so, and again; sorry that I can't explain this in an understandable manner.

Simon.

If only the headphone output is affected, your FF will need a small modification to work well with new firmware. To make sure here, please mail me the serial number.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I just packed the FF down (for the service tomorrow) to protect it from all the snow here, I'll check the serial number when I come home to my girlfriend! Thanks!!

Serial number mailed! Mailed to both support adresses..

Hahaha!!!! Happy pony here; it works (on both computers)!

So it WAS the unit, and I've been on this, feeling more and more hopeless and stressed out, since November 27:th!

Ok, I've still got problems with high DPC count, but I guess that's easy to fix in comparison with my old problem. At least I don't hear any faults. So LatencyMon tells me that I might have problems with real time audio etc etc, but as I said; I don't hear anything. DPC count 3430, ISR count 194 and a pagefault resolution time at 250026. Sounds way too high in my ears. But now I can focus on a real problem instead of trying things that obviously wouldn't work anyway..

Ok, so as it behaves the same way as it did (I'm talking about the Vaio now, and will do that unless I specifically say that there's a prob with my old Acer) when I first measured in LatencyMon (my 5:th post with screendumps). Any ideas on how I could fix so I get lower DPC? I don't really know how to read the results I got..

Thank you all for your patience, and as I said; I've been totally stressed out for this, and I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Hope I didn't piss you off in any way! :-)

Simon.

I wont have time this weekend, but I will look into LatencyMon (personally I'm using Xperf on which LatencyMon is based) and see what I can do.

But with a maximum DPC latency of around 3.5 ms you might not even get into troubles, it depends on when these DPCs happen (256 audio samples at 44.1 KHz is a 11.3 ms buffer already).

Problem solved! As usual it was an embarrasingly easy solution. I just had to switch the Sony Vaio stamina/speed button for the graphics to stamina. And BANG, no more than 100 us DPC. Finally I can work with my favorite sound interface together with a rock and roll computer! Thank you all!

The only "problem" now is that a dialogue box with the text "gfxUI has stopped working" pops up every now and then. It doesn't affect anything, but it's a little bit annoying.. But that's WAY OT, so I don't expect any help with that. I probably will find the solution anyway.

I suggest you try using the "Speed" switch (dedicated NVidia 330M) and then use "PowerMizer Manager" to switch the NVidia GPU to 3D mode (Low Power/Medium is enough). I'm trying to get NVidia to finally fix this via their user-forum, but they have so many driver issues atm, including badly performing flagship GPUs, that I don't have too many hopes.

Thanks, I'll try that! So you say that it will work even better if I do that? The gfxUI problem solved by the way...

Didn't work.. I didn't notice any difference what so ever. Maybe I didn't do it right, no idea.

I just got my 2010 Macbook Pro which also comes with a Nvidia 330M GT. Unfortunately NVidia botched the driver for this card so badly that it produces DPC latencies in *all* modes (be it 2D or 3D). On the other hand I experienced that the DPCs decreased once Ableton Live (DAW) was running in playback. I did not have time to do any in-deep testing, but at the moment there does not seem to be a workaround.

Ohh that's bad. I'm running my Vaio with the stamina button switched on all the time, and it works kind of ok, but not at all perfect. When using Cubase, the screen freezes once every 5 minutes or so (no high DPC counts what so ever though), but the sound continues to work fine. Kind of frustrating though, when I'm in the middle of an editing process or whatever. Also, the cpu (asio) is way too high in my opinion. This is supposed to be a much, much better computer than my last one, but it's not that much of a difference in cpu (of course there is a difference, I mean, I can have like 30% more plugs and stuff up'n'running now, but still..).

But I have funnier things to think about; just bought a Revox 8 ch mixer and a power conditioner and this Friday I will get an ADL stereo comp and 2 API 550's to my lunchbox! So I'm happy anyway! smile

They released a new driver today, I will download and try it out. Have you seen or tried this Timur (or, obviously not tried it, as it was realeased today, but would you think it's woth a shot)? Verde Notebook release 266.35 Beta:

http://www.geforce.com/#/Drivers/Results/25772

Just installed, but no time for thorough testing yet. The behavior is a bit erratic still. DPCs go into the yellow regularly (around 1500 us), but something seems to trigger a behavior where they can go down to 100-200 us. One of these trigger conditions is when Ableton Live is running, which allows me to use 64 samples on a FF400 with little problems.

Full clocked 3D mode (500 MHz) seems to produce the highest DPCs in this state (around 500 us, still green and good enough for many low latency situations).

Clock-rate changes can create some pretty ugly red spikes though. And I just had a BSOD (IRQL_not_less_or_equal) while playing with a combination of this Firefox window (typing this message) to motivate clock-rate changes while Live was running the FF400 at 64 samples.

I cannot tell if the Nvidia or the FF driver was the source of the BSOD, because the log only names HAL (HardwareAbstractionLayer) as source. It was the first BSOD I experienced on this new computer though.

39 (edited by Timur 2011-01-12 21:27:26)

Try the following trick to at least get some better audio performance from the 330M GT: Open an audio or video file and start playback while watching DPC Latencies via DPC Latency Checker.

If they drop to somewhere between 100-300 us during playback download the free Media Player Classic (less RAM and screen-space) or Foobar and set the output device to "Null Device". Then load some very short wav (i.e. Ding.WAV from the Windows/Media folder), start playback and put it on PAUSE right away.

With MPC make sure that the "Seek Bar" is visible, anything else you can turn off and even resize the window to 10x10 pixels small (as long as any part of the Seek Bar stays visible). With Foobar you need to have some Spectrum Graph, VU Meter or the like active.

Do *not* minimize the window, but keep it open! You can hide the window beneath other windows as long as you don't minimize it.

On my setup I don't need that trick for Reaper or Ableton Live, both keep the DPCs down by just being open, but again I must not minimize them, so the trick can help.

Next use "PowerMizer Manager" to set the 330M to a fixed power mode (any should do, but I suggest Medium/Low Power 3D). This will save you from huge DPC spikes when the GPU switches power modes.

This will still get you dropouts with small buffers, the only way to get around that would be to disable the 330M driver. I'm trying some older driver versions now, but no luck yet.

Cool, I will try that! I have bigger issues right now, but that's not RME-related. I think it's more a general firewire issue. It's kind of OT, so I'll post it in another thread.

Thanks Timur, you're a rock!

41 (edited by Timur 2011-01-22 02:49:16)

Meanwhile I found a better workaround that brings DPCs with the NVidia driver quite close to those with Standard VGA driver:

1) Again use PowerMizer Manager to use a fixed performance level, it should not matter which one so you can also use the power saving 2D mode (may be different on your setup though).

2) Open the NVidia Control Panel and go to "Adjust image settings with Preview" (you will see a spining NVidia logo). Put the animation on Pause and minimize the NVidia Control Panel.

3) You may or may not have to do this: Either switch off Aero, or better change the "Compatibility" settings of your DAW application to tell Windows only to turn off Aero (Desktop Composition) for this application.

Also watch out when setting display brightness or speaker volume via key (especially when an overlay is displayed), it may cause dropouts. You can change those by mouse via the respective settings without issues though.

That's it. I'm in contact to NVidia tech supporter ManuelG via the NVidia forum to get this sorted out, but don't hang your hopes too high.

Where do you work Timur? If you don't work for a support of any kind; you should! You deserve to earn shitloads of money for all your efforts and knowledge!

Yeah, I should! wink But most of the audio specific knowledge and efforts are too specialized and no one around my area has any much use for that (and it's hard to charge via internet). Maybe I should offer some remote support via VLC/Remote Desktop, but the problem is that the audio output would still be on the other end of the world with most people. And I don't feel any attraction to move to Berlin (where all audio software companies are) to do relatively lowly paid phone-support.

I run my own one-man IT consulting business and charge up to three digits per hour from business clients. But that's more general office stuff, architects and the like. Setting up networks, plotters, standard MS Office, connecting IPhones to Exchange Servers for out of house connections and doing maintenance once it's all running. Nothing too fancy, but printers and routers are more widespread than professional audio interfaces (especially in Germany).

I like Berlin! :-)

AttilaAfra on NVidia forum wrote:

I still have DPC spikes (about 17000 µs) with the 266.58 driver on my HP EliteBook 8540p with NVS 5100M, Windows 7 64-bit. I've verified this with DPC Latency Checker, LatencyMon, and xperf. I have spikes also with the 266.35, 260.99, and 260.89 drivers. However, there are absolutely no DPC issues with 261.28, which was released only on Windows Update in December, only for Quadros in HP notebooks.

The NVS 5100 and FX 880 are based on the 330M GT chip. I modified the INF of the Microsoft build to install the FX 880 files for my 330M GT and lo and behold: No more DPC issues, neither in any mode (2D/3D) nor when switching modes.

I will have to do some test to see how professional audio applications are affected, but at the moment it seems that the maximum DPCs caused by the NVidia driver are down to what my rather clumsy workaround achieves.

You can find the modified INF attached to this post: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?show … ;p=1182843

Wow, now this is REALLY good news! I can't wait to try it out as fast as I can (probably Wednesday)!

I installed the v266.58 over the hacked Quatro 261.28 *without* doing a clean install. Now the v266.58 show about the same low/good DPC latencies as the v261.28 drivers do, the only exception being that switching modes can cause a huge spikes (which does not happen with the v261.28).

Hey, I will download the 261.28-driver together with you INF now and try it later on tonight. It will work with dual core too right? I'm just paranoid it wouldn't as it says "only for Quadros in HP notebooks" in the quote. But that's part of you fix correct? I'm so excited to try this out!!

..and just to be sure; I replace the INF file with your hacked one within the cab file before I install the new driver right? I downloaded the driver here:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/ … -released/

That's the right one I hope.. Didn't find any FX 880 drivers with the 261.28-ending.

Yes, this is the right one, it includes INF information for both the NV5100 and the FX880. I just chose to edit the FX880 lines to 330M. Shouldn't make much of a difference, but at the INF made a distinction between the two.

I just unpacked the whole Cab file into a folder and modified the INF in there. Then I ran Setup. I don't know (and don't think) that there are PhysX drivers in there, but because I installed the 261.28 over 266.58 it just kept the PhysX of the newer driver installed.

Now I run 266.58 over 261.28 again and DPCs are still smooth except for the mode changing huge spikes. So either you use PowerMizer Manager to switch to a fixed mode or stay with the supposedly "older" drivers (which for non-gamers is no issue anyway). The 261.28 even come with NView which might or might not be useful for audio users.