Topic: fireface 400 freezes computer

Hi,

I have just bought a fireface 400 and am trying to set it up to record, but it is becoming frustrating.

I have operating system xp3 professional, 2ghz celeron processor, 2mb ram.

Im using a laptop with a sunix 32bit cardbus to connect the firwire.

I downloaded and installed the latest firewire 400 driver.

I installed reaper as the daw and setup the fireface in the reaper settings following the rme graphical how to instillation guide.

now, with the fireface turned on, after opening reaper my laptop froze. I turned off the computer and tried a couple more times with the same result, sometimes reaper would run for a minute at most before freezing. Now my laptop completely freezes with just the fireface connected, and not opening reaper, when i shutdown the laptop, disconnect the fireface and reboot, my laptop runs fine.

Any help would be reeeeeaaaally appreaciated, I am itching to do some recording.

2 (edited by isaac 2010-11-30 21:05:08)

Re: fireface 400 freezes computer

fyvie wrote:

Hi,

I have just bought a fireface 400 and am trying to set it up to record, but it is becoming frustrating.

I have operating system xp3 professional, 2ghz celeron processor, 2mb ram.

Im using a laptop with a sunix 32bit cardbus to connect the firwire.

I downloaded and installed the latest firewire 400 driver.

I installed reaper as the daw and setup the fireface in the reaper settings following the rme graphical how to instillation guide.

now, with the fireface turned on, after opening reaper my laptop froze. I turned off the computer and tried a couple more times with the same result, sometimes reaper would run for a minute at most before freezing. Now my laptop completely freezes with just the fireface connected, and not opening reaper, when i shutdown the laptop, disconnect the fireface and reboot, my laptop runs fine.

Any help would be reeeeeaaaally appreaciated, I am itching to do some recording.

I assume you mean 2 gigs of ram? :-) Also what is the chipset on your firewire cardbus and your firewire card?

Have you searched this forum for firewire fixes? I know there have been certain versions of windows that have rebroken firewire support.

Isaac P