Topic: problem: chipmunk sounds

Hello all,

Sometimes, I boot up my computer, turn on my fireface, turn on cubase (in that order), run my cubase project, and end up hearing my audio being distorted (you get that fastforward-tape effect). In such instance, I'll power off the fireface and shutdown cubase. I'll then get Windows blue screen of death.

Have I configured the RME incorrectly perhaps?

Thanks,

ttt

Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53GHz, 2534 Mhz; 8 RAM; Fireface UC; RNC 1776 Compressor; EMU Xboard49.

Re: problem: chipmunk sounds

Which FF is this, which driver is installed, which version of Cubase, have you tested other software, etc. More details, please.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for replying so promptly.
I bought the Fireface UC unit in November. The driver is version 0.935.
I'm using Cubase 5.1.0 Essential.
What I've described has happened twice, and believe me it hasn't slowed me down or anything. I love the unit! I just wanted to let you guys know what's been up. I'll be careful to try and remember exactly the conditions that caused the unit to behave this way, but right now I can't think of them, except perhaps that I surf the web with my computer, creating some kind of conflict when I listen to audio (youtube). If I come up with a pattern, I will surely keep you guys informed. I should dedicate my computer to music-prod, but you know how that sometimes goes...
Thanks!

Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53GHz, 2534 Mhz; 8 RAM; Fireface UC; RNC 1776 Compressor; EMU Xboard49.

That is the first driver release, 18 months old, I assume your firmware is also outdated. You should update to current driver and firmware, see the Downloads page on the RME website.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Watching a video (youtube, VLC), the sound will either be accelerated or go mute. If I switch off my RME UC and listen from my laptop's audiocard, no problem. I updated the UC driver from 0.935 to 0.938 (by the way, what is firmware exactly?).
I apologize for doing without and not really fixing the problem.
Thanks again...

6 (edited by sparkyo 2011-05-07 07:03:50)

I am having the exact same problem as tigertigertiger except I have a Babyface with Babyface Driver 0.9.660 and your utility says my firmware is up to date. Like the op,  I have had problems with youtube video and just today I was watching some videos on the Universal Audio website when the audio and video suddenly speeded up and began to sound like chipmunks. This has been happening to me for a while now. I believe I have also had  something similar to the op's muting problem but I have only had that issue perhaps two or three times. Usually, I start watching the video and it works properly for awhile, but then speeds up. If I hit pause anywhere from one to a few times the video will start playing normally again, at least for awhile. Thus far, I have never gotten a BSOD; I did have my laptop lock up on me today on the UA site though and had to reboot. (I don't believe this site utilizes youtube video)

Intel Core 2 Duo 6400, 4GB RAM, Babyface, Win7 64-bit

Hi sparkyo,
I have the UC. I upgraded the driver as advised. Only two days after the fact did everything get better (youtube and media files started running smoothly; been good eversince). Strange. Hopefully this reply will help steer you in the right direction.
ttt

Hi tigertigertiger,
Thanks for replying to my post; I'm glad to hear upgrading the driver solved your problem. My situation is different in that I am using the current driver. Still, I am hoping this problem can and will be addressed by RME in a timely manner. I'm not sure if they monitor these old threads; perhaps I should start a new thread?

Here is a suggestion: it would be nice if the Windows control panel for the Babyface would display the current firmware version of the unit; also I had trouble confirming on RME's website what the current version of the firmware was.

sparkyo wrote:

Here is a suggestion: it would be nice if the Windows control panel for the Babyface would display the current firmware version of the unit; also I had trouble confirming on RME's website what the current version of the firmware was.

If you go to the USB settings and click the About tab, it's listed as hardware revision.

Thanks for the information Har! smile