Topic: babyface, digital clipping/dist how to delete .kext file ??

Hi

I bought a RME Babyface last week. Fantastic machine.

When I did the installation of the drivers, i got a Kernel Panic on my mac. Had to turn off the computer when the installation had gone around 80 %. Boring.
Then i unplugged the RME and started the computer again. Then removed the CD. Then i delete the programs, fireface usb settings and totalmix. and those plist files.
But i could not delete the firefaceUSB.kext file, which is in system/library/extensions.
the computer said no, its is being used. so i had to put it back to the folder, only option avaible.

then i put in the drivers CD again and the installation went fine.

Is there any worries about this file (kext) being damaged? Because it was made from the installation when the computer had kernel panic.

After the second installation, the babyface has worked veery nice in logic. great sound preamps and all.
i have recored a lot last week, and it has been sound great, both in headphones and Genelec 8020 monitors.

and yesterday i noticed a strange digital distortion/clipping when i listening to music in Spotify, a swedish music stream program. It plays in 44,1 khz and 16 bit. This digital dist/clip comes very randomly.
If i use itunes it doesnt come, or if i use VLC listening to aiff or mp3. and it has not come in logic 9 either.
if the clipping starts to come in spotify, and i pause and goes to itunes, it sometimes does the same there. but i have spotify turned off, the problem never STARTS in itunes.

once i discovered the clipping, then i switch to mac internal sound and it sounded normal and good.

to get away with it, i can restart the program or restart babyface. then it goes away.
but it shouldnt come at all i think...

could this had to do with the kext file?
or that the program is 16 bit and babyface is 24 bit ? anything else?

I am using a Macbook Pro 13, 2010 model.

i am a bit annoyed with this clipping problem in spotify, and would be very happy with an answer!

all the best

filip jers, stockholm sweden

Re: babyface, digital clipping/dist how to delete .kext file ??

You should be able to remove this file. Disconnect the Babyface and quit the apps. Then trash the apps and kext and plists. Reboot, then empty trash.

Finally get the latest driver and firmware here, install, then update firmware with FUT: http://www.rme-audio.de/drivers_usb

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

It doesnt work to remove the kext. very strange. computers says it is being used. only option is to click "put back to folder".
even if i have disconnected babyface. maybe if i remove apps plist then restart, then try to remove kext. or maybe start the computer in "safe mood" holding the shift when startup?

do you think this digital clipping/dist can have to do with the kext file?

Could be related to old driver/firmware, or just a problem with the Spotify app.

http://getsatisfaction.com/spotify/topi … distortion

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Very interesting ! thanks. good thread to read. sounds like my problem. and i use snow leopard.
you mean old driver/firmwire on my computer?
I downloaded the latest v176 and v.149 yesterday.

the strange if that the problems starts in spotify, it can go to itunes, and yesterday it also went to VLC player. but maybe the computer/babyface is still in spotify in someway? restarting the programs helps.

i am running spotify now. no problem at all. strange problem. i will have try it for some time and see what happends.

im using rme babyface into genelec 8020, its fantastic sound quality. congratulations for your interface.
and thanks for very fast answers.

Hi again!

i managed to delete the kext file, starting up my mac in Safe Mode, holding down shift while the startup sound comes. Then that extension doesnt load, so i could remove it. Could be a tip for more mac users. Now i had a great installation.

is this the latest drivers

firmware 176
driver v.1.49

?