1 (edited by Gr8h8m 2010-12-21 17:36:02)

Topic: Babyface first impressions

So I finally managed to procure a Babyface (silver!) in the UK (thank you Synthax!)
The unit feels really solid and well engineered, the case as we know now being made of aluminum. Having now had the chance to check out the plastic prototype I still maintain that RME dodged a bullet on the housing - the plastic version felt like a toy and would easily have been dragged around by its cables. The blue metal edition looked pretty nice, but the encoder dial seemed marginally smaller and less well fitted? I was very pleased to get it in silver - which apparently was down to the good taste of the Japanese.
Only issue I have now with the housing is the lack of any meter markings - making the meters a matter of guesswork as it stands. I'm thinking of putting some additional stickers on for -24, -12, -6 levels to make them more useful.
Unit has functioned solidly over the last couple of days - Pres are very usable - and TotalmixFX is a revelation. Sound quality overall is very high.
It also recognises the 24bit flag from my Sony PCM-D50 optical out (still waiting on the firmware update for the FF800).
Couple of thoughts I had:
Is it possible to switch the reference analog output level at the very least from +4 to -10 as I currently have to have my monitors on extremely low with the main outs at around -30 so as to not blast my ears?
And if that were the case (using a lower ref analog out level) would that leave enough juice over USB to allow a higher switchable headphone level?
Could the Dim level be opened up to include -Inf, effectively making the Dim a Mute if required?
Finally, would it be possible to make the Recall button programmable, for eg restoring/minimizing TotalmixFX, which I would probably make more use of?
Overall - a great new unit from RME - but would you expect anything less ;-)

Re: Babyface first impressions

I also had to update the firmware - it was out of date, and also the backup was said to be corrupt? No problems with the update however.

Gr8h8m wrote:

Is it possible to switch the reference analog output level at the very least from +4 to -10 as I currently have to have my monitors on extremely low with the main outs at around -30 so as to not blast my ears?

There is no hardware level switch in the BF. You will have to use passive attenuators in the monitor cables.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by panatrope 2010-12-22 02:47:45)

Gr8h8m wrote:

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/ … /nanopatch

I use and recommend this inexpensive device to solve your problem. I use it between line outs and Genelec monitors which need that sort of level - as it's a passive device, no impact on sound quality and using it for level control allows the BabyFace DAC to run full scale (better quality). It also has a mute switch ... and is now available in silver to match the new silver BabyFace.

Neat?

ps. I actually have two, and one I have modified to replace the TRS outputs with XLR (reasonably easy).  I call it the NanoPatch Pro version.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

5 (edited by infinite 2010-12-22 06:39:18)

Is the volume control of the Babyface in the digital domain or am I misunderstanding? I thought it was controlled passively in analog?

The level is changed in the digital domain for various reasons. Besides the common sound myths an analog attenuator suffers from many issues and has no reproducible gain setting. The RME design provides a digital control and recall of all settings. This has a lot of advantages, especially for the interaction with TotalMix on the host computer.

best regards
Knut

panatrope wrote:
Gr8h8m wrote:

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/ … /nanopatch

I use and recommend this inexpensive device to solve your problem. I use it between line outs and Genelec monitors which need that sort of level - as it's a passive device, no impact on sound quality and using it for level control allows the BabyFace DAC to run full scale (better quality). It also has a mute switch ... and is now available in silver to match the new silver BabyFace.

Neat?

ps. I actually have two, and one I have modified to replace the TRS outputs with XLR (reasonably easy).  I call it the NanoPatch Pro version.

Yeah I've been using a Nanopatch here for the last couple of years over the outputs from my FF800 - but I really wanted to avoid using it now, have a clutter-free setup and just use the Babyface's big dial.

MC wrote:
Gr8h8m wrote:

There is no hardware level switch in the BF. You will have to use passive attenuators in the monitor cables.

So, just to check, would using eg a pair of Shure A15AS Inline Attenuators be ok impedance-wise going from the babyface to a pair of genelecs?

Gr8h8m wrote:

So, just to check, would using eg a pair of Shure A15AS Inline Attenuators be ok impedance-wise going from the babyface to a pair of genelecs?

These devices have a load on the mixer of about 1000 ohms and impedance looking at it from the speakers of about 150 ohm, so they would appear perfectly suited to your purpose.    I have a few in-line attenuators I made myself it the past.  Nowadays I am more disposed to buy than build - I'll keep these in mind.

Regarding the BabyFace, seeing as I work in remote locations, often using other peoples monitors, the NanoPatch is the first thing I install in front of the speakers, before even powering them on.  Volume at zero and the mute switch operated, it helps to avoid nasty noises as the rest of the gear is plugged or rearranged, without switching the speakers on and off each time ...

panatrope wrote:
Gr8h8m wrote:

These devices have a load on the mixer of about 1000 ohms and impedance looking at it from the speakers of about 150 ohm, so they would appear perfectly suited to your purpose.    I have a few in-line attenuators I made myself it the past.  Nowadays I am more disposed to buy than build - I'll keep these in mind.

Regarding the BabyFace, seeing as I work in remote locations, often using other peoples monitors, the NanoPatch is the first thing I install in front of the speakers, before even powering them on.  Volume at zero and the mute switch operated, it helps to avoid nasty noises as the rest of the gear is plugged or rearranged, without switching the speakers on and off each time ...

Thanks for the info - much appreciated. I totally get you about the nanopatch's usefulness - I've been using it in a similar way myself - and a hardware mute switch is certainly reassuring. Maybe I could build an on/off switch into the attenuators? Hmmm....

Little off topic, but will my keyboard volume buttons be able to control the  volume in TotalMix FX?

Thanks

Just to add - got a pair of the Shure A15AS switchable attenuators - all working great, padded down by -15dB. I'm considering disconnecting the -25dB resistor pad, effectively creating an inline mute, for powering up and down.

Just to check - I think RME are fairly assiduous in arranging benign power-up and power-down, muting the audio output only after powerup is complete and likewise before commencing power-down.  Someone (MC?) correct me if I am wrong?

It is needed for some other card and devices that are not so considerate.  But it is always a good practice to follow, even with the best cards ...

A couple of weeks on - some further impressions.
Functionally its been solid and dependable. Great.
The dial is not that great. Its quite noisy to operate, and yes, does occasionally grate against the casing.
The phones output is a bit on the weak side - certainly not up to the level of the FF800, which is what I had been expecting. I would certainly have traded some XLR ouput level for more phones power.
Non-switchable main out levels are a shame.

It also recognises the 24bit flag from my Sony PCM-D50 optical out

What are the advantages of going from the PCM-D50 to the BF?  I have a PCM-D50 and had thought that it would be better to copy the files directly to a pc.  Is this, in fact, not the best method?

Steve2 wrote:

It also recognises the 24bit flag from my Sony PCM-D50 optical out

What are the advantages of going from the PCM-D50 to the BF?  I have a PCM-D50 and had thought that it would be better to copy the files directly to a pc.  Is this, in fact, not the best method?

To use the PCM-D50s mics live into the BF fr instance.