Topic: XP SP3 + Firmware 2.77 + Driver 2.9992 = Woe!

In preparation for my post-Christmas project, I wanted to make sure my recording rig was working ok.

Previously, I've been running my FF 800 with XP and it's been very stable and happy for a couple of years. But I'm an occasional user, so it's been a few months since I recorded anything.
I upgraded to the latest drivers for XP (2.9992), and as advised upgraded the firmware to 2.77, since then I've had nothing but grief.
It's a long story, but for a time I wondered if the FF800 was broken, but (at some pain), I checked an old laptop that had a working configuration and confirmed that XP SP3 with driver version 2.42 and firmware 2.77 was stable.
On my production system, XP3, now with driver 2.9992 and firmware 2.77, nothing works. Various startup combinations cause blue screens. Nothing is predictable.
For example, sometimes, if I power on the FF800 before the PC, a firewire connection will be made. But then, when starting "Fireface Settings" from the systray, it appears that explorer.exe will stall. The settings dialogue will never appear. This is the most common condition.
When I start the FF800 after windows startup and logon, mostly it will ignore the device. Sometimes it'll see it properly, but still, the Fireface Settings dialogue will not render and simply trying to start it makes the system unstable.

This is awful.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. In particular, what is the recommended driver combination for XP SP3?

Thanks & regards

Re: XP SP3 + Firmware 2.77 + Driver 2.9992 = Woe!

Hm.

I just did another test.

Powered up the FF800 30 minutes+ after Windows Logon. Device connected OK, started Fireface Settings, clicked About, reports Hardware Revision: n.a.

Whole system was stalled. i.e. the Settings dialogue appeared to stop everything else. Only after switching the FF800 off, could I stop the Settings dialogue and do anything useful on the system.

Try 3.034...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the suggestion.

From your web site, I wasn't clear if 3.x was for Vista/W7 or could also be used with XP, hence my question.
I had tried 3.034 before my original post. The symptoms appear similar to 2.9992 but a little bit worse.
For example (and this is not 100% consistent, it just happens to be how it doesn't work this time).
Complete power-off. Start PC, then logon. Switch on FF800, device registers and host light switches off. Right click "Fireface Settings" in systray, renders menu for Settings and Exit, select Settings: no action.
Right click/left click Total Mix: no action.
Device Manager reports "This device is working properly".
Repeat( Right click "Fireface Settings" / Settings ) several times until BSOD with message: "NMI: Partity Check."

Argh!