Topic: Babyface Question about breakout cable outputs 3/4

I am going to pick up a Babyface here in the US (if I can find one), and I have a question about the outputs.  If I use the headphone output as a line out to feed my desktop speaker system, can I turn down the headphone output on the unit itself without turning down the output on the breakout cable?

I would like to use the headphone out on the Babyface as a headphone out and the additional output on the breakout cable as an unbalanced line out and not turn both of them down at the same time. 

I don't want to buy the unbalanced breakout cable -- it looks like it doesn't have mic inputs.

I have a Radial Passive Stereo DI, should I just use the balanced outs and feed them into this before going to the unbalanced input of my speaker amp?

Re: Babyface Question about breakout cable outputs 3/4

As far as I read in the instruction manual the two headphone outs (one at the interface, the other in the breakout cable) are only one output with two connectors, one of them in the output cable, one in the unit. If you turn down the one, you turn down the other, too. They are both named output 3/4.

so far

moritzheinz

If I use the headphone output as a line out to feed my desktop speaker system, can I turn down the headphone output on the unit itself without turning down the output on the breakout cable?

No, the phones output on the breakout cable carries the same signal as the phones output on the interface. The best solution for a speaker system are the main outputs (1/2) on the breakout cable - which can be of course adjusted separately.

I don't want to buy the unbalanced breakout cable -- it looks like it doesn't have mic inputs.

The unbalanced breakout cables provides RCA connectors instead of the XLR In/Outs of the balanced cable. But the Mic inputs remain in the Babyface.

I have a Radial Passive Stereo DI, should I just use the balanced outs and feed them into this before going to the unbalanced input of my speaker amp?

I think you don´t need a DI box in your monitoring path. You can go directly in your speaker amp.

best regards
Knut

Knut -

My speaker amp onlly has unbalanced inputs ... don't I need to convert the signal from balanced to unbalanced?

My speaker amp onlly has unbalanced inputs ... don't I need to convert the signal from balanced to unbalanced?

Yes. Please see the Babyface manual page 74.

best regards
Knut