Topic: Fireface 800 & TC Helicon VoiceDoubler: ambient noise :(

Hi everyone,

I have just bought my Fireface 800 and I am overwhelmed. Just one trouble spot:
I simply cannot get rid of the constant ambient noise whenever I connect it with my TC Helicon VoiceDoubler. It is definitely not a matter of cable and everything else is working fine.
What somewhat reduced the noise a little was a changing of TC Helicon's setting: the standard input sensivity was 14 dBu, which I reduced to zero. Furthermore I turned down the standard "OutRange" from 14 to -4 dBu. Still the noise is far too loud.

I have no mixer or other appliances in use, and tried different Fireface settings (e.g. the buffer size) and changed the monitoring setup of my DAW Samplitude 10. - No effect! Anybody an idea what else I can try?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Re: Fireface 800 & TC Helicon VoiceDoubler: ambient noise :(

Nick wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have just bought my Fireface 800 and I am overwhelmed. Just one trouble spot:
I simply cannot get rid of the constant ambient noise whenever I connect it with my TC Helicon VoiceDoubler. It is definitely not a matter of cable and everything else is working fine.
What somewhat reduced the noise a little was a changing of TC Helicon's setting: the standard input sensivity was 14 dBu, which I reduced to zero. Furthermore I turned down the standard "OutRange" from 14 to -4 dBu. Still the noise is far too loud.

I have no mixer or other appliances in use, and tried different Fireface settings (e.g. the buffer size) and changed the monitoring setup of my DAW Samplitude 10. - No effect! Anybody an idea what else I can try?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

More information needed. What sort of noise? Laptop/desktop? What sort, drivers/firmware version? What cables (unbalanced/balanced)?

Isaac P

I have tried all sorts of balanced cables: XLR and jacks (stereo). Even a coaxial one didnt help (using the SPDIF sockets). The noise is a steady hissing, no matter if the mike is on or off.
I suppose that the signal coming from the TC Helicon is too weak. As I have no preamp I am not sure if I can use the FF to amplify the signal, then send it to the Helicon (via coaxial cable) and finally route it back to the FF (XLR). Can I try this loop without causing serious damage to the FF?

I use a desktop PC and got the driver from the RME CD 05/2010 for Wndows XP.

Cheers, Nick

Nick,
First of all, congrats on your purchase of the FF800. I'm sure you'll love it.

Secondly, did the TC unit have this problem when connected to something else?  Why do you think this issue is related to the Fireface?

Thirdly, have you posted your question on the TC forum?

Regards,
Ira

Sounds like a setup error. You have to use a preamp before the TC unit input - it accepts line level input, not mic level.

You can use the FF preamp, and then use SPDIF or balanced analog cables in and out to connect the unit to the FF.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thank you guys. This really helped a lot!
@ Jeff: I followed your instructions and was pretty successful though it took me some time to handle the FF mixer and setup. Pretty complicated for a beginner like me.
@ Ira: Thank you for your helpfulness and the idea to join the TC forum. And, YES, I definitely love my FF 800 :-))

Happy New Year and best wishes,

Nick