Topic: Monitoring between two HDSP cards?

I am currently using two Lynx AES16e cards and have found that there is no way to route signals between them.
For example, if the guitar is coming in on Unit #1 input 1, and I need to route that to the drummer who is being monitored with Unit #2 Out 1/2 there is no way to set that up in the software monitor mixer.

What I'm looking for is a cohesive way to monitor all 32 inputs and outputs without needing a desk and without needing to run cables between the two units.

If I were to switch to RME HDSP cards would I run into the same limitation?

Steven

Re: Monitoring between two HDSP cards?

The RME HDSP mixer runs on the card like the Lynx mixer. So yes, with multiple cards you would have the same problem. A solution would be to use a MADI system, with an outboard MADI <> AES/EBU converter (such as the ADI-6432) and a 64 channel HDSPe MADI card in the computer.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Every HDSP(e) card uses an own digital hardware mixer - so you can´t route the signal from one card to another internally. It´s only possible with a software audio mixer, like Samplitude, Nuendo/Cubase or Logic, but this will introduce the usual software monitoring latency.

If you want an internal DSP hardware mixer with up to 64 inputs on one single card, you can use the HDSP(e) MADI with one or several breakout boxes. For 32 x AES EBU: ADI 6432.

best regards
Knut

Thank you guys! Yes, I'd seen that MADI solution, but was hoping there might be something less expensive.  Granted, it would be an excellent long-term solution as I built the studio to support up to three AES systems.

Steven

If you can sacrifice a stereo I/O in the system, you can cascade Card 1 submix into Card 2.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

If you can sacrifice a stereo I/O in the system, you can cascade Card 1 submix into Card 2.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing, now.