Topic: How Do I Prevent RME HDSP from being the Prefered Play Back Device.

When I was on XP32  - I could easily deselect my HDSP (multiface) from being Windows preferred playback device.
XP appeared to offer some strange alternatives like .... (can't really remember) "voice modem" or something odd like that,
anyway it was an alternative to select.

However in Windows 7 64 Pro  - there is only my RME HDSP in the list of audio devices - there are no alternatives!

Does it really matter that W7 is using the HDSP as it's preferred playback device (I have turned OFF system sounds)
but the Multiface manual WARNS against having the HDSP as the "preferred playback device!"

Can anyone help?

Thanks

tmy

Re: How Do I Prevent RME HDSP from being the Prefered Play Back Device.

No problem as preferred device.

To add, you would have to have some other audio device installed in order to deselect the HDSP.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

4 (edited by themarqueeyears 2010-12-30 23:06:02)

Thanks for the replies.

That's good to know - I am new to Windows 7, and just want to achieve the same excellent performance
I got from my Multiface and XP.

Best
tmy

5 (edited by Dandruff 2011-01-02 11:05:21)

The problem (at least on XP) is that the system sounds are 32kHz only. So this could lead in clock changes with the old MME drivers. WDM drivers "fixed" this (system sounds get resampled to current clock).

Best option still is to disable system sounds so that the system doesn't use the channels being used by an ASIO application.

Thanks Dandruff

Great explanation regarding why I needed to disable the RME card as default system sounds, in XP (I always wondered why) .... now I know, it was a clocking thing.

I have set Windows 7 so that there are no system sounds in use.
So far the Multiface is performing really well under Windows 7 64 bit.

I applaud RME for continuing to support my original PCI card and the original Multiface. I have had such a long use out of them, they were an excellent
investment. My next interface will definitely be by RME!

Best
tmy