Re: Workaround for Fireface/iMac problem

Hi there,

I had the same problem with imac and Fireface400 and there was a very easy way to solve it:
Buying a firewire hub from LINDY (inside this firewire hub are the needed TI - Chips!) , connecting it to the firewire port of my imac - and connecting the fireface 400 with the hub - and everything works fine. This hub costs 49 Eur. The firewire hub makes the Fireface400 "thinking", ther were TI- Chips working. And the connection between the hub and the imac runs without problems.

J. Illmann, Mannheim
RayDat, Babyface pro fs, Apogee Rosetta 800, Little Vintage Maker

There is a Firewire-Repeater-Cable available by Lindy that also solves the problem but costs less.

ajmetz wrote:

Hi, I have a 2.8Ghz Macbook Pro Unibody late 2008 (bought in November).
It has an Agere chipset.
I've been using the FireFace 400 with it, through a Lacie D2 tripple interface hard drive, since November, without issue.

However, I now need more mobility, and don't want to carry around a large, and non-rugged hard drive, cables, power, etc, with me, so I'm looking to cut out the hard drive from the equation.

Will a Firewire 800 to 400 wire alone suffice?
Or will I need a Firewire 800 repeater?
I looked at the Lindy device, and noticed it only had FW800 sockets on it...so assume I'll need an additional FW800 to FW400 cable too...unless any of you know of a repeater that has 800 and 400 sockets on it?

I'm not bothered about bus power, since I prefer to use the FF400's seperate power adapter.

Well, I'd be grateful for any advice.

Yours,
Andrew.

Bump.

You will need a repeater and short 9-pin to 6-pin cable.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

155 (edited by christahler 2009-09-09 12:51:21)

IT WORKS! Just unpacked my new Mac 15" Unibody which is from AUGUST 2009 and plugged my FF400 directly into it with a 9-6 pin cable, and it works a 100%.

So the conclusion:
- The first series of the unibody does not work without a workaround (HDD with multiple ports or LINDY-cable, which I now have extra if anyone in Norway wants it.)
- Several reports state that both 13" and 17" regardless of unibody-serie, does not work properly.
- The 2nd serie/edition of the 15" Unibody WORKS without any type of workaround.

Hope this helps!

- C

MacBook Pro 2,8 Ghz Unibody (June 2009)| OS 10.6.2 | 4 GB RAM | 500 GB HDD | FF400 | Logic 9.0.2

156 (edited by remm 2009-09-13 09:20:24)

- I have the latest Mac Mini 2.0 GHz C2D intel 2009 OSX 10.5.7 with: (kernel FireWire (OHCI) Lucent ID 5901 built-in now active, GUID 002500fffed16ea4; max speed s800) -> FireFace 400 not working with the regular 9->6 pin FW-cable.

- FW 9-pin to 6PIN cable contected trough Mbox 2 Pro. -> 400Cable to FF400. Works ok. (Not tested CPU stress) Also found that the unit is only responding conected in one of the rear FW400 ports (left, the one closer to the AC adapter input).

- Lacie drives and the lindy extension cable work too as a hub.

- This whole thing from Apple was a very unfortunate move. Hope to hear if they get a firmware update for the FW-chip. Just wondering if it would have been wiser to buyt the UC-model ?

- Any news on the new 13" MBR's latest revision ? Does it work ?

Moderators and others, please keep us informed how things are evolving. Also a simple list of computers known to work with out any tricks would be a blessing. Alot of people live in the dark about this problem and it should be known more widely.

EDIT: Bought a Lacie "Design Flat" FW800->400 cable and plugged it. It works! Work actually with my other brand cables too, so nothing to do with the cable. No hubs or external drives needed. When trin to epand the daychain MINI->FF400->external HD or MBOX 2 PRO, not working. Intresting on the other hand is that the right port of the FF400 is not working with mac mini. Some how the FF400 is prioritizing the left firewire 400 port (closer to the AC-plug). Any one experiencing the same behaviour ?

Current (august 2009) Unibody Macbook Pro works with a simple FW800->FW400 cable on both OS X and Windows under full load.

158 (edited by remm 2009-09-12 16:26:50)

Timur wrote:

Current (august 2009) Unibody Macbook Pro works with a simple FW800->FW400 cable on both OS X and Windows under full load.

Are talking about a 15" model ? With a FF400 ?

Are talking about a 15" model ? With a FF400 ?

Talking about all mid 2009 Macbook Pro models. They use the new FW chip revision.

Previous iMacs, Macbooks (Pro) and Mac Mini with the old chip revision need a FW repeater solution to work. Described here.

best regards
Knut

160 (edited by remm 2009-09-16 14:23:29)

remm wrote:

- Any news on the new 13" MBR's latest revision ? Does it work ?

- Intresting on the other hand is that the right port of the FF400 is not working with mac mini. Some how the FF400 is prioritizing the left firewire 400 port (closer to the AC-plug). Any one experiencing the same behaviour ?

- Just tested the new 13" 2.53GHz MBP and FF400 with a Firewire 80->400 cable and it works fine.

- Does anybody have any problems with the other FW400 port in the fireface 400 ? My right-side port seems to be dead or not responding. Anybody ? Ideas ?

thanks

Could someone summarize known compatibility issues between the Fireface 400 and "Early 2009" iMacs?

Thanks.

-Lagouyn

Hi. I checked this interesting post. It seems that the problem with the fireface 400/800 is the FW chipset, (as I readed  every where). I?ve got a fireface 400 running on a dell inspiron 6000, (I think the FW chip is ricoh), and I have got some glitches on the audio output from time to time. I ran digicheck to find problems on the devices such as the wireless network ,which I disabled getting a better performance, but the audio glitches are still there. I know that this post is about mac laptops running fireface audiocards, but I read on it that some of them were running windows. My question is the following:

-WOULD THE LINDY CABLE SOLUTION WORKS ON PC-LAPTOPS, SINCE THE MAIN PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE THE FW CHIPSET?

I tracked all the threads in rme forum and no one working on pc seems to name this solution. I will definitly open a new thread with this contend, but before I wanted to ask here , in this HOT POST.

THANK YOU.

No way. Your problem is Dell or Ricoh, and the cable can not fix it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've had this problem on my unibody Macbook Pro (late 2008) and a Fireface 400.
I tried the hard drive solution and it works! hurrah.  Even when the Hard Drive is switched off and not mounted at all... madness.
Now, i would like to get a cable instead for portability.  Does it have to be that really long LINDY one or are their any shorter alternatives?
Ideally I would like just one cable that does the job... or a software update from Apple or RME to fix the problem?!!
I think i point the finger of blame at Apple for this one in fact. fryingpan

Current Macbook (Pro) work with the FF400 without having to put a hub/repeater in between. Blame Apple.

Has anyone tried one of the Lindy Firewire 800 hubs? I've got an Imac (24" late 2008) with the bad FW chipset. Would the Lindy firewire extention cable or the Lindy firewire hub be a better purchase?

Thanks,

Caleb

Sorry, I cant understand the status of the fact. If tomorrow i go buy an imac 27", work it well with fireface800????

sentiero76 wrote:

Sorry, I cant understand the status of the fact. If tomorrow i go buy an imac 27", work it well with fireface800????

Same problem here.I have FF400 and planing to buy new iMac 21.5" and still wondering will my FF400 work with simple FW800 to FW400 adapter?

Thanx in advance!

All current Macs work.

best regards
Knut

Hola,
I've just bought a Macbook Pro 13", 2.53, 4 Gb ram and try it with fireface 800 - horible. Audio is cracked and no latency big enough to fix it on Ableton Live 8.1
When I use it with my old novation X-station USB - perfect.
(it's my first post - be gentle:-)).
Barney

I don?t think it?the LSI chipset problem. But just to make sure: What revision is the built-in chipset? Try these steps to find out.

best regards
Knut

Admin Knut wrote:

I don?t think it?the LSI chipset problem. But just to make sure: What revision is the built-in chipset? Try these steps to find out.

best regards
Knut

Thanx for a quick response.
It's: FIREWARE (OHCI) LUCENT ID 5901 GUID d49a20fffefe3650 Max Speed s800
As you can see I'm new with Mac...
All the best,
Barney

Admin Knut wrote:

best regards
Knut

And it's Revision 7.
Thanx for your help.
Cheers,
Barney

Is it Windows with Bootcamp or MacOS 10.6? How does it work in other audio programs like Reaper? I don?t know Ableton but Timur has posted useful setup tips for Live here in the past.

best regards
Knut

It's MacOs 10.6, and I tried with Logic 9 as well, and it's a same problem.
Cheers,
Barney

176 (edited by Timur 2010-04-03 16:24:14)

Download the trial of "Coolbook" at (www.coolbook.se) and set the CPU Load slider to 9 or 10. Then try again. Also try both the 9400M and the 9600M GT graphic-cards (can be switched via energy settings).

If audio is "cracked" it could be also a clock problem. The Fireface setup should use the clock source seting "internal" if there is no other external clock master for the Fireface and the sample rate of your projects (e.g. 44100 Hz). Have you a chance to check the Fireface on an other Mac? If it does work with a fresh driver installation on an other system the interface is not defective. Often its also a bad cable which could be easily exchanged. When nothing helps please call your local support for a step by step failure research.

best regards
Knut

Thank you guys for a help one more time.
I don't think the interface is defective because I run it on other systems (PC) with no problem. I'm new on a Mac, but it have to be something wrong with a firewire, 'cause it works with other USB sound card.
I'll try a TIMUR's advice (THANX Mate) and get back to you.
All the best,
Barney

banjola wrote:

Thank you guys for a help one more time.
I don't think the interface is defective because I run it on other systems (PC) with no problem. I'm new on a Mac, but it have to be something wrong with a firewire, 'cause it works with other USB sound card.
I'll try a TIMUR's advice (THANX Mate) and get back to you.
All the best,
Barney

Hola again,
I tried my card on a friends Imac and it's working no problem with my fw800 cable...so any more ideas?
Cheers,
Barney

FF 400 funktioniert nicht am IMac und TotalMIX ebenfalls. Das soll professionelle Hardware sein ? F?r mich sind sowohl RME als auch Apple IMacs gestorben. An meine LEnovo Laptop funktioniert alles einwandfrei. Schade. Werde wohl auf Apogee umsteigen.

181 (edited by urknall 2010-10-02 08:59:28)

Hi!

Ich muss doch mal eine Lanze f?r RME und andere Hersteller wie Apple brechen.

Heutzutage gibt es so viele Nebeneffekte im Zusammenspiel verschiedener Hardware
und Software (angefangen vom Betriebssystem bis hin zu der eingesetzten Audio
Software und Treibern), dass man selbst als Hardware- oder Softwarehersteller nicht
mehr alle Inkompatibilit?ten und Probleme ausschliessen kann. Das liegt schlicht und
einfach an der Komplexit?t der ganzen Systeme.

Leider wird dem Benutzer der Produkte selbst heute immer mehr Professionalit?t
abverlangt, der die Systeme eigentlich nur anschliessen und damit arbeiten will.

Das heisst im Klartext man muss sich als K?ufer der Produkte heute im Vorfeld
des Kaufs leider selbst informieren und so weit es geht Probleme durch entsprechende
Auswahl von unkritischen Kombinationen absichern. Immer nur den Herstellern
den schwarzen Peter zuschieben finde ich etwas engstirnig, es obliegt leider dem
Benutzer heute eine gewisse Verantwortung, der er nachkommen muss.
Die Probleme speziell hier im Zusammenspiel von Fireface mit einigen Modellen
von Apple Hardware sind schon eine ganze Weile bekannt.

Es ist auch klar, dass man nicht alles im Vorfeld ausschliessen kann, ein gewisses
"Restrisiko" bleibt immer. Das soll auf der anderen Seite nicht die Hersteller ausnahmslos
in Schutz nehmen. Es gibt auch einige Dinge, die man nicht verstehen kann,
z. B. die Probleme und Inkompatibilit?t von diversen Audio Ger?ten mit Firewire Chips
bestimmter Hersteller wie z. B. Agere ist Apple ja schon seit ein paar Generationen
bekannt, warum man hier nicht einfach auf unkritische Chips wie z. B. von Texas
Instruments in der Produktion umstellt ist f?r mich absolut nicht nachvollziehbar.

Gr??e Urknall

Mac Pro Early 2008 2,8 Octo 10 GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4, FF 400 (v3.08 / 1.71)

anyone has tested??

Yes, I used the Lindy cable for weeks and months with a combination of Macbook Pro Unibody late 2008 (revision 6 LSI/Agere FW chipset) and a Fireface 400.

I am still using it as an extender (to get more cable length), but since 2009 it is not necessary anymore, because Apple switched to a revision 7 and now 8 LSI/Agere chipset.

thanks, I have a imac and I connect it direct to fireface400 and fireface doesn´t work,

how I can to know if my imac has firewire/chip serial wrong. where I can check ? preferences?? on about my mac?

this is my imac:

Nombre del modelo:    iMac
  Identificador del modelo:    iMac8,1
  Nombre del procesador:    Intel Core 2 Duo
  Velocidad del procesador:    2.4 GHz
  Número de procesadores:    1
  Número total de núcleos:    2
  Caché de nivel 2:    6 MB
  Memoria:    3 GB
  Velocidad del bus:    1.07 GHz

Somewhere in this thread or on this forum is a post by Daniel (RME Support) that describes how to read out the revision of the Firewire chipset.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4986

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hallo Daniel,

I am planing to by a used Fireface 400 and I have an iMac 21.5 inch late 2009.
The IEEE 1394 chipset is from Texas Instruments and not from Agere.

Must I expect any problems? Then I think I must search for a Fireface UC?

If the 400 will work, does the Fireface UC sound better than the 400 on an iMac nonetheless, because of electr. supply voltage separation between the Apple USB -Ports and the Fireface (and  I don´t really know if the 400 will only work Bus-powered)?

all the best,

Thorsten

(kannst auch auf Deutsch antworten, wenn Du willst)

I too have this problem.  I have a imac 24 (late 2008) with an external G Drive (it holds my drum smaples from BFD) and i am connecting it directly to the imac through a Firewire 800 cable.  Last night i tried the fireface 400 for the first time and i was having many issues.  I tried plugging the firewire 400 cable into the back of the external G Drive and it worked flawlessly.  I haven't stressed the system yet.  Just testing it to get a signal.  Does anyone know if there are issues with this workaround where the system can't as much as it would WITHOUT a workaround.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life"
-Berthold Auerbach

Hi there.
Here I am, experiencing the same problem nowadays with a iMac 20 of late 2007. Sadly discovered with my new RME 400 that my computer has always had FW problems. I've encountered problems with my previous m-audio firewire 410 but i thought they were due to it and not to my firewire connections..
This is my chipset situation:
- FireWire (OHCI) Lucent ID 5901
- "revision-id" = <05000000>
I've reaed this topic http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4986 were are described revision 6 and 7 but not 5, that's my revision....

BTW. After reading all the posts in this thread, i've tried the solution mentioned buying a 9pit/6pin cable from Hama, and it didn't work: FF400 still not working properly, in host mode with the red light blinking.
Second solution adopted few minutes ago: LaCie (my audio samples HD) connected to the FW 800 port (as it's alwayes been) and the FF 400 connected in hub into it.
No more host mode and red light, and it seems to work fine just playing some audio files on it.

My question is this: As i will use my FF400 with a complex routing of I/O, and from the LaCie will come the audio samples used in Logic, there will be a lot of datas sent and received on the FW 800 port. Before re-start making music with my new great set up based on FF400, i have to know:
will i encounter some problems like latency, clicks, blips, ecc or this solution adopted is quite stable?

I do believe in my new set up that is based on FF400 capabilities and power. I'M NOT gonna change my FF400 to solve the FW problems...
And last but not least... i don't have any more money to change my iMac with a new one.

Andrea

andrea lombardo wrote:

Hi there.
Here I am, experiencing the same problem nowadays with a iMac 20 of late 2007. Sadly discovered with my new RME 400 that my computer has always had FW problems. I've encountered problems with my previous m-audio firewire 410 but i thought they were due to it and not to my firewire connections..
This is my chipset situation:
- FireWire (OHCI) Lucent ID 5901
- "revision-id" = <05000000>
I've reaed this topic http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4986 were are described revision 6 and 7 but not 5, that's my revision....

BTW. After reading all the posts in this thread, i've tried the solution mentioned buying a 9pit/6pin cable from Hama, and it didn't work: FF400 still not working properly, in host mode with the red light blinking.
Second solution adopted few minutes ago: LaCie (my audio samples HD) connected to the FW 800 port (as it's alwayes been) and the FF 400 connected in hub into it.
No more host mode and red light, and it seems to work fine just playing some audio files on it.

My question is this: As i will use my FF400 with a complex routing of I/O, and from the LaCie will come the audio samples used in Logic, there will be a lot of datas sent and received on the FW 800 port. Before re-start making music with my new great set up based on FF400, i have to know:
will i encounter some problems like latency, clicks, blips, ecc or this solution adopted is quite stable?

I do believe in my new set up that is based on FF400 capabilities and power. I'M NOT gonna change my FF400 to solve the FW problems...
And last but not least... i don't have any more money to change my iMac with a new one.

Andrea

Apparently, the Imac shares the firewire card anyway (even between the 400 and 800 ports) so it's the same thing.  It's one firewire card on the Imac.  I have the same Imac as you do.  (early 2008...i'm thinking it's the same anyway.  I too had this issue and i tried taxing my computer.  I have my BFD samples on a G Drive (fw800 connection)  and the FF400 plugged into that.  I was running a 16 track recording with BFD running and 5 tracks with reverb on them in pro tools.  It worked just fine with this.

-Berthold Auerbach

193 (edited by Timur 2011-03-25 20:56:07)

andrea lombardo wrote:

With the old (pre 7) revision LSI/Agere chipsets you either need a repeater cable by Lindy (or same build found on Ebay). Effectively it is a 1-port hub. The internal chipset of the cable/repeater will "translate" between the Fireface and the Mac.

Using your HD in between does exactly the same and yes there is only one Firewire bus on the Mac, even when there are two ports (internally they are on a hub).

Any other Firewire hub may work, or may not, but using your working HD is the best solution unless the HD is awkward to use (in which case you need to get the Lindy). wink

I don't go mobile and my external hard drive is necessary to use anyway so i'll stick with that setup.  I love these forums.  Thanks for your reply!:-)

-Berthold Auerbach

hello

I have check on console and it shows:

19/04/11 15:46:56 kernel FireWire (OHCI) Lucent ID 5901 built-in now active, GUID 001ff3fffe0a5b50; max speed s800.

I have check http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4986

but I don´t understand how :

Here's how to identify the revision of the LSI/Agere chipset:

In Terminal type:  ioreg -lxw0
(lower case "L" and digit Zero)

find in FRWR:

FRWR@0  <class IOPCIDevice, id 0x1000001d8, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (695 ms), retain 9>
    | |   |     | {
    | |   |     |   "assigned-addresses" = <1000048200000000000010d30000000000100000>
    | |   |     |   "IOInterruptSpecifiers" = (<1300000007000000>,<1900000000000100>)
    | |   |     |   "fwswappedbib" = <01000000>
    | |   |     |   "class-code" = <10000c00>
    | |   |     |   "IODeviceMemory" = (({"address"=0xffffffffd3100000,"length"=0x1000}))
    | |   |     |   "fwtune" = <00000008e3e3040000000808e3e3144100004008200b40bf0000700810000000>
    | |   |     |   "pci-aspm-supported" = Yes
    | |   |     |   "IOPowerManagement" = {"ChildrenPowerState"=0x2,"CurrentPowerState"=0x2}
    | |   |     |   "subsystem-vendor-id" = <c1110000>
    | |   |     |   "built-in" = <00>
    | |   |     |   "acpi-device" = "IOACPIPlatformDevice is not serializable"
    | |   |     |   "IOPCIMSIMode" = Yes
    | |   |     |   "IOInterruptControllers" = ("io-apic-0","IOPCIMessagedInterruptController")
    | |   |     |   "name" = "pci11c1,5901"
    | |   |     |   "IOChildIndex" = 0x1
    | |   |     |   "device-id" = <01590000>
    | |   |     |   "vendor-id" = <c1110000>
    | |   |     |   "IOPCIExpressASPMDefault" = 0x0
    | |   |     |   "fws0" = <01000000>
    | |   |     |   "compatible" = <706369313163312c3539303000706369313163312c3539303100706369636c6173732c30633030313000>
    | |   |     |   "acpi-pmcap-offset" = 0x44
    | |   |     |   "IOPCIExpressLinkCapabilities" = 0x73c11
    | |   |     |   "IOPCIResourced" = Yes
    | |   |     |   "acpi-path" = "IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PCI0@0/RP05@160000/FRWR@0"
    | |   |     |   "subsystem-id" = <00590000>
    | |   |     |   "revision-id" = <07000000>
    | |   |     |   "IOPCIExpressLinkStatus" = 0x1011
    | |   |     |   "IOName" = "pci11c1,5901"
    | |   |     |   "fwports" = <01000000>
    | |   |     |   "reg" = <0000040000000000000000000000000000000000100004020000000000000000000000

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I have searched on spootlight : terminal
and copied:  ioreg -lxw0

is it?

command + F: write :FRWR
and it shows:

| |   |   +-o FRWR@0  <class IOPCIDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 9>
    | |   |     | {
    | |   |     |   "IOPCIResourced" = Yes
    | |   |     |   "IOInterruptControllers" = ("io-apic-0","IOPCIMessagedInterruptController")
    | |   |     |   "fwtune" = <00000008e3e3000000000808e3e30c4100004008200340bf0000700810000000>
    | |   |     |   "subsystem-id" = <00590000>
    | |   |     |   "IOName" = "pci11c1,5901"
    | |   |     |   "IODeviceMemory" = (({"address"=0xffffffffd0300000,"length"=0x1000}))
    | |   |     |   "class-code" = <10000c00>
    | |   |     |   "revision-id" = <06000000>
    | |   |     |   "assigned-addresses" = <1000038200000000000030d00000000000100000>
    | |   |     |   "IOChildIndex" = 0x1
    | |   |     |   "built-in" = <00>
    | |   |     |   "acpi-device" = "IOACPIPlatformDevice is not serializable"
    | |   |     |   "name" = "pci11c1,5901"
    | |   |     |   "acpi-path" = "IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PCI0/RP04@1c0003/FRWR@0"
    | |   |     |   "subsystem-vendor-id" = <c1110000>
    | |   |     |   "reg" = <00000300000000000000000000000000000000001000030200000000000000000000000000100000>
    | |   |     |   "compatible" = <706369313163312c3539303000706369313163312c3539303100706369636c6173732c306330

"revision-id" = <06000000>

This is the defective chipset, you will need to use a workaround as explained in this thread.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

you mean a hard disk between both??

Either a FW hard drive, FW hub, or active FW repeater will typically work.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.