Topic: 9632 won't boot Win 7 X64

Hello,
I have read through all posts I could find on this issue and it is still unclear to me whether this is a hardware or software problem.    Any help appreciated.

My setup:  i7 950 bloomfield, Asus p6x58d-e mobo, 6 gigs triple channel RAM, Win 7 X64

9632 Rev 1.0.7 2291XXX

Followed all instructions on install, (ie finding the unknown sound device in device manager and selecting most recent driver manually)   install shows to be successful and requires reboot.   On reboot the system hangs at the Windows title screen.   On reset I am able to revert to last known good configuration and get back to windows.   

Is this card actually not compatible with my setup?   Have just replaced an Echo box to go RME after driver issues with that box.   Was looking forward to the RME driver support I had heard so much about!   Any help appreciated.   Thanks
Mike

Re: 9632 won't boot Win 7 X64

Which driver are you trying to install? Have you tried another PCI slot?
Not a known issue of the card or driver...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel, Thanks for the prompt reply.

I tried using 'WDM streaming driver'   Version 3.085, 08/05/2010

No I haven't tried the other PCI slot yet as I am doubting this is the problem.    Any ideas?
Thanks

Can anyone confirm that this is the correct driver I should be utilizing?   Also would it improve the situation to flash the bios before restarting (after installing driver)?   Thanks
Mike

mikesnow wrote:

No I haven't tried the other PCI slot yet as I am doubting this is the problem.

You can't be sure until you try...
3.085 is correct. How exactly did you install?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks Daniel.

I installed by Device Manager, found the card with exclamation point in the list (unknown something or other).  I do recall it was not under sound and video controllers.    I right clicked on it and selected update driver and pointed it to the directory to which I had unzipped 3.085.    The driver showed to install correctly.   At this time I attempted the reboot and this is where the system hangs.   Repeated the process this morning and same result.   Started getting errors in Windows due to doing system restores to earlier points.  So now I just did a fresh install of Win 7. 

I will try moving it to another PCI slot although my video card cooling (PCI-e) is blocking the other PCI slot.     I can move it also I guess but was wondering can I just install this card in a PCI-e slot or does it have to be older PCI?   Thanks again
Mike

Resolved issue, just going to post here in case the outcome is useful to someone.   

Did try another PCI slot and not sure if this was useful or not.   Reinstalled software as an administrator (ie right click run as admin) and then following readme directions did a full shutoff as opposed to warm boot.   Think this may have helped.    Upon reboot, rme icons visible in the tray.    Ran the FUT which had done nothing on previous attempts and it showed the card to be up to date. 

Waiting on a breakout cable and hopefully this card will be functional as I have had a nightmare so far with other manufacturer's interfaces running Win 7 x64 / i7/ 6 gigs ram.    Thanks to Daniel for suggestions. 
Mike