Topic: No sound with FF400 + Windows 7

I've been using a FF400 for the last six months with no problems.  Then my hard drive died, and I decided to use the opportunity to upgrade my computer from Vista x64 to Win 7 x64.  Ever since then, I cannot get my FF400 to work.

After installing Win 7, I downloaded the latest drivers and installed.  I ran the flash update to update my FF400 from 1.69 to 1.70, and it worked fine.  I can plug things into the inputs and outputs, and can see the levels changing as expected in the FF mixer.  But I can't get anything in my computer to send sound to the FF 400.  Attempting to test the speakers from the Windows control panel does nothing, and I have to right-click and select "Stop Test".  Sonar reports that it is unable to open the playback device.

I'm running on an ASUS P6T Deluxe MOBO.  I looks like VIA 1394 for the firewire interface.

Any clues?  I tried searching the forum and found lots and lots of posts about problems with FF400 + Win 7, but haven't been able to find anything that seems to help.  I'm not having blue screens or anything, I just can't get it to do anything.

Re: No sound with FF400 + Windows 7

Got this issue solved...  It was indeed the firewire drivers, and I needed to switch to the legacy drivers.

I had a hard time finding these instructions - I found a couple of broken links to them, but couldn't turn them up.  But I got them from RME's US tech support (Sythax US), and will repeat them here for others who might encounter this problem:

1- Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter (or start up Device Manager via any of the other methods, such as Administrative Tools -> Computer Management, etc.).
2- Expand the "IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers" node in the device tree on the right hand pane
3- Right click the host controller node select "Update driver software ..."
4- Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
5- Select "let me pick from a list of device driver on my computer ..." and Check the box before “Show compatible hardware”.
6- Choose the second option---1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy), and click next to update the driver

Re: No sound with FF400 + Windows 7

Indeed not easy to find. I have put it here now:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 612#p48612

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME