1 (edited by stainless 2011-01-09 17:28:36)

Topic: Synching with ADAT

more new guy questions...

I want to use the FF800 as the master clock and have my Presonus D8 synch to it (it's set to external)

not sure what i did, but now the Host light has gone off and only the +4 in/out LED's remain

In the FF settings for (4C3)....

sample rate 44100

level in and out +4 (no reason yet for choosing this setting... I guess it's the default)

instrument options - limiter (same lack of rational as the +4)

no phantom power (at the moment)

SPDIF in - coaxial (from a ART DPSII)

Clock mode - Master (AutoSyn Ref box remains  "No Lock" for both even if I select AutoSync)

SPDIF out - Non-Audio

Prefered Sync- Tried Word clock and ADAT1  (not sure which/if correct)

Bandwidth - Analog+SPDIF+ADAT1
mode=master,  Freq. = 44.1master clock

Wordclock out - single speed

DDS - active box is not checked, 44.1, course and fine both at 0

Freq multiplier x1

ANYBODY see something amiss that might explain why the units are not synching up??

Thanks

Re: Synching with ADAT

You need to connect Word Clock out of the FF800 to Word Clock in on the Presonus unit. The ART also requires Word Clock input if you intend to set the FF800 as master clock in the system.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Update- Newguy is making progress

I can get set the ADAT to internal clock, check autosync and it picks up ADAT 1 @ 44.1 and in Preferred ref/Input status ADAT1 shows it as 'sync". doesn't seem to change anything if I check something else... the input status remains unchanged.

ADAT1 LED is solid green, Host light is still off

If I change the ADAT to external clock, the ADAT1 LED flashes, as does the External LED on the ADAT

I have no doubt the FF800 has a better clock than the D8 and I'd atleast like to try it???  Any suggestions???

4 (edited by stainless 2011-01-09 17:40:11)

ah ha!  so for the ART, would I use the BNC port to connect it?  (and is there anything I need to know about 'not terminated?'  as I'll need to buy a BNC cable

and thank you, thank you , thank you!!!  my wife even thanks you!

You really need a basic understanding of clocking in a digital system to proceed. Please have a look here, this should get you started.
http://www.tweakheadz.com/setting_up_word_clock.html

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

6 (edited by stainless 2011-01-09 19:48:35)

so...if

I understand correctly- I'll need to get 2 BNC cables and 1Tees, the Tee at the FF800 with and run one cable to the ART's BNC  and the other to the D8?

Do I only need a tee with terminator?  or 1 on the ART as well as the D8 ( I can't tell by looking at their manuals... they just mention the cable run from the master to the unit

after an unsuccessful tour of the local music stores, all of whom sell "pro audio/recording" hardware/software could I find anyone who knew if I needed a terminator, or not... nor does any of the stores stick BNC tees or said terminators... I did get BNC cables, so I'l disconnect/disable the ART/SPDIF and just use the ADAT for now

one individual thought I "might need a terminator" on the Wordclock IN  BNC, and I see there is a switch to activate internal termination, however  can't anything as to when I would/would not use this function, which makes me question is I need said terminator at all

If anyone could take pity on me and illuminate me on this matter so i don't order more connectors/terminator than I need tomorrow, I'd be really appreciative

Word out of FF800 to T connected to first device WC In. Other side of the T connects to the T on the second device. The other side of this T gets the 75 ohm termination cap.

If the second device has internal termination, then you don't need the second T or terminator.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks Jeff! 

Should I activate the internal termination on the FF800?

No, this is for the WC input only.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

OK- I have the D8 synched as slave using the BNC and the green LED is solid on the FF800, so I assume this means the D8 is internally terminated?

If I were to use a terminator at the ned of a Tee and didn't need one... would it damage anything?

I'll wait for an answer for ART, but more curious at this point

No, it won't damage anything. But left unterminated the clock input may not be stable.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.