Topic: fireface mixer question

I don't necessarily use inputs in order of how instruments are grouped- especially drums- several mics are thru channel strips which would go to analog inputs, and the rest through ADAT , If it weren't for the SPDIF being in between  analog and ADAT 1, I could use 7/8 in and ADAT

and is there a way to "group them, so once set I can raise/lower the level of the group together?

Re: fireface mixer question

Of course, as explained in the manual, pg 74.
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fface800_e.pdf

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

building a group of faders...!!! 31.2   but they still have to be adjacent to each other?  ("but is limited to operate horizontally within one row... Is this in the Matrix??? or on the mixing board..?? whereas in DP, I can place all the 'drums' next to each other, regardless of where the inputs are....  but correct me if I'm wrong, adjusting the level in DP  doesn't change the fader(s) on the FF mixer? or does it?  I'm having a hard time figuring out how/whether I mix a song from DP or FF mixer?

this is definitely different from ProTools, everything was controlled through PT, ... do I turn of FF mixer when I get to mixing mode? Or do I mute all my individual  (analog 3 -8) outputs in the DP session so everything in the session runs through 1/2 (which is actually going to my monitors via SPDIF

sorry for seeming a bit dense, but having 2 virtual mixers is throwing me a bit

I understand the matrix is basically like a patch bay (at least I think that's what it's akin to)

They don't have to be adjacent. It just means your group can only be on one row, for instance the middle (playback) row.

The FF mixer is completely separate from DP. When you are creating your final mix in DP, you won't use the FF mixer at all. It is, however, very useful for input monitoring (while tracking or overdubbing), and creating headphone mixes for your musicians. This video should help you get started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=splW9OtTBYw

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

that was helpful... I notice when he mentions mono outs, he only selects the ADAT outputs, can I do the same with Analog outs 3-8?  Ideally, that's what I want to do (My headphone mixes are summed mono, seems to work best for most folks, anything too hard panned throws them off, all they want is individual levels up (which vary's greatly from player to player), drummer seldom needs any drums in his/her headphone mix, but wants lots of bass, everyone wants vocals, especially the vocalist, etc

SPDIF is used for control room

as to paired outputs... that's probably less of an issue- if I set all paired /mono outs the same, I can control individually on my matrix mixer I typically need 4 - 5 individual headphone mixes

seems to be looking better every hour!!!!

Notice the pan field above each channel. Pan to center for mono.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

so IF I select (example) bass-input 4 x output 3 in the matrix and leave the pan at 12:00 on the 3/4 pair , then bass only shows up on 3? Then I could just patch (physical_) from analog 3 to my headphone matrix (It has mono "injects")?

it just dawned on me (perhaps incorrect) but how I rout the output in DP has no bearing on FF mixer, so I can just set up DP sessions to all go to 1/2... or do I send that to SPDIF fro the control room?  all the headphone mix routing is handled by the FF mixer? so I don't need elaborate outputs in DP (in PT is required separate mono master faders be set up), and even at the lowest buffer there was a slight /noticeable latency (sounded almost like heavy reverb with a very fast decay, or very short slap delay)... it was a bit strange to get used to

if that's correct, things just improved greatly over ProTools!

In this case pan input 4 hard left on AN 3+4 submix for output 3 only.

Sorry, not familiar with DP. In general, you need separate outs from software for discrete custom mixes.

Regarding the slap delay, make sure you have set up input monitoring correctly. You can use hardware monitoring (FF mixer) or software monitoring (DP), bot not both. Monitoring in both will give you the slapback or phase cancellation.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I'm leaning towards hardware monitoring (one of the reasons for getting the FZF800)... not to mention much better clock, converters, and routing-

I'm fairly new to DP and IMHO works much better than PT as far as custom headphone mixes, seems to be much more CPU friendly (and this from a 10 year PT user), and now I'm on an 8 core Mac so I'll be real surprised if I run out of CPU resources, and DP seems to be better as far as latency... but if the FF mixer works as I'm hoping, that will be a moot point

as far as the slap issue, that was PT, and even at a buffer of 64, there was still the slap