1 (edited by gehauser 2011-01-10 03:13:16)

Topic: Totalmix FX questions

I just received my new FF UFX and set it up today (Win7 64-bit PC).  Installed the driver using Device Mgr, then upgraded the driver to the latest (0.966) and upgraded the flash tool to the latest, all without a hitch.  I got the UFX working with Reaper (very easy, using ASIO) and then recorded 3 tracks (1 at a time, each in mono) with an sm58 thru input channel 9 (using UFX preamp).

Then I got to playback, which sent me deeper into TotalMix FX, which looks powerful.  I first had no playback in the headphones, but finally I got playback by routing AN 1/2 playback channels to headphone outs 9/10, duh!.  But have a couple newb questions:

1.  When I select TotalMix FX Help (Contents, Search), I get a message in German that roughly translates to "could not open Help file".  So does TotalMix FX have a Help file?  If so, where would I find it, as TotalMix FX seems unable to see it.

2.  I have "AN 1/2" playback channels routed to hardware output channels 9/10 (phones) so I can listen to playback of my recorded tracks via headphones.  When I playback the 3 tracks I recorded (tracks 1,2,3 mono in Reaper), I hear all 3 tracks in the headphones, even though I never routed track 3 to any output at all, best I can tell.  Apparently the UFX piled all three mono tracks into stereo AN 1/2 during recording or something. 

I am sure these are newb issues, but I would appreciate comments.  Thanks much.

Re: Totalmix FX questions

1. C:\Windows\system32\TotalMixFx.chm. This help does not contain anything more than the manual.

2. Check the real routing in the TM FX matrix. If correct it is routed already in Reaper.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

1.  I tried to open the .chm file by dbl-click in the Windows\System32 folder from Explorer, and got a message "Navigation to the web page canceled" with instruction to retype the address.  I copied the .chm to a junk folder and tried to open it there, and got the same odd message.

2.  In the Matrix, playback channels 3/4 are routed only to Outputs 1/2 and 3/4 but not to 9/10, yet I hear channel 3 along with 1 and 2 on the 9/10 headphones output channel.  I am thinking something usurped my mono selection, and all 3 channels got recorded to stereo 1/2 or something. 

Does the UFX play nice with Reaper, or are there known problems with this DAW?

Thanks

This seems to be a problem with user rights on your computer. Turn off UAC and try to set the Internet Explorer's Zone security settings to a lower value (IE is used to display this file).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi gehauser, I was just wondering how your adventure with Totalmix FX and Reaper is going? I am planning a switch to Reaper with a Fireface UFX and I would be all ears for any feedback +/- you may have.

Thanks
Robert

6 (edited by gehauser 2011-04-08 22:29:57)

mani1147 wrote:

Hi gehauser, I was just wondering how your adventure with Totalmix FX and Reaper is going? I am planning a switch to Reaper with a Fireface UFX and I would be all ears for any feedback +/- you may have.

Thanks
Robert

Hey, Robert.  Make the leap, I would say, as the UFX is working great for me here with Reaper.  Still getting my mind around TotalMix FX, as it is so flexible that the details are not immediately intuitive.  But the more I learn about it, the more I like it.  Any questions I have posted here on RME forum have been immediately answered so the support is superb.

The UFX interface is pretty awesome in its completeness and capabilities - its ADA has a crisper sound than my Emu 0404 USB (previous interface), and I was very fond of that warm, full Emu sound.  But I can tame the crispness as needed with my Sytek preamp and mic choice.  I actually love the Sytek-UFX combination on acoustic instruments.  The UFX pres sound clear and detailed, almost as good as my Sytek's.  Still not fond of the sound of my Pacifica into the UFX A/D, as both are bright and the combo is too bright/crispy, but I am still experimenting with that.

The other day I tracked an old-timey band using 9 simultaneous analog inputs at 48 samples buffer setting via USB into Reaper on my Win7 computer, with no pops/crackles or other issues on record or playback.  Worked perfectly.  Quite impressed about that.  Have yet to find my #track limit at this lowest buffer setting.  Thus far it has worked perfectly on everything I have thrown at it.