Topic: Fireface UC - SPDIF in from AES/EBU device - NO SIGNAL!

Hello everybody,

I use a Fireface UC with an Intel iMac 24" (white).

I can't get a valid signal when going from the AES/EBU XLR3 output of a Nagra LB to the COAXIAL input of the Fireface.

This is what I'm doing to go from AES/EBU XLR3 to RCA COAXIAL:

1.- Neutrik NADITBNC-FX passive adapter (XLR3f 100 Ohm. to BNCf 75 Ohm.)
2.- A simple inexpensive plug BNCm/RCAf (in the case of a plug, I hope RCA means the same as RCA COAXIAL...)
3.- Coaxial cable to the Fireface.

But I have no signal at all in TotalMix; in the Fireface USB Settings, "SPDIF coax. = No Lock" ; nothing at all in Digicheck; and nothing in Logic, of course...

On the contrary, I easily get a valid signal when I connect a sound module with a coaxial output to the fireface input...

I'm sure I'm missing something... HeadScratch

Thanks for your help.

Re: Fireface UC - SPDIF in from AES/EBU device - NO SIGNAL!

Remove the Neutrik adapter and try XLR to RCA directly, as described in the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Bechstein 2011-01-11 07:07:29)

Re: Fireface UC - SPDIF in from AES/EBU device - NO SIGNAL!

Thank you Mathias.

In fact I knew that this was the first thing that I had to try after reading this forum... But I spent 100€ in the Neutrik + the Apogee SPDIF cable, you know? and IT HAD TO WORK!!! DeadHorse

I'll try one of the "DIY" solutions described in the forum -although in my case it'll be a "DIH" (Do It Himself) rotfl because I'm not good at DIY-. Anyway, may I ask if:

1.- Is there any place (in Europe) where I can buy this already-made (good) cable?
2.- Is this cable THE solution? I mean, am I supposed to experience any kind of problems for example at Quad Speed? (I'm sorry I know nothing of electronics...). Apparently the manual states that this is THE solution).
3.- Will a simple inexpensive XLR to RCA adapter (plug) do the trick, or is the cable that has to be built?

Thank you again.

PS: At Nagra they say that the Neutrik thing had to work... I'll try your suggestion to discard a hardware problem from the LB unit.