Topic: Harware insert with pro tools 9

Hi everybody, just got my fireface ufx yesterday!
I use pro tools 9 and I usually mix with an hardware ssl G-comp as hardware insert on the master buss, now, if instert it for ex on 5-6 input-output I ear the correspondent output in totalmix flanging with the output of pro tools, but if I mute the output 5-6 then nothing goes to the comp.
I am totally new to the totalmix , can any one help me?

Thanks

Giacomo

Re: Harware insert with pro tools 9

Please read here for a possible work around: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9314

best regards
Knut

I' ve already readed before posting, mine is a differend case, I am cool with muting the track when overdubbing, we are doing the same everyday in the studio where I work with pt and analog desk.
My problem is with hardware insert in pro tools and how to configure the total mix to not play from main outs(or the other outs for my second monitor system) the signal send to my hardware compressor (sended for ex through 5-6)..

Thank you

Giacomo

in totalmix - make sure that your playback ch 5-6 dont got to your master (monitoring) outputs. that might work.

I´am not sure I understand your setup and routing. You use the compressor as hardware insert for some Pro Tools submix and send it out via playback channel 5/6 >> outputs 5/6 >> compressor >> inputs 5/6 >> Pro Tools + Mix with other tracks >> Main out/Speaker B?

If yes, than it´s right to disable the routing of playback 5/6 AND the input channels 5/6 to Main out / Speaker B.

best regards
Knut

Yes that s the setup, basically i use hardware insert because i have the comp followed by plug ins, I ll try once i finish work

Thank you very mutch!

Just another thing, but I think is the same, I don't send via sub mix but I use the hardware-insert option of pro tools,meaning that I insert the compressor like a plug in a slot of the master channel

I don't send via sub mix but I use the hardware-insert option of pro tools

In TotalMix every output can work as a submix bus. You can send any input and playback signal to it. It works like an aux send bus on traditional mixing desks. So it doesn´t matter. Just make sure, you don´t route any other signal from TotalMix to this dedicated output.

best regards
Knut

Yes I checked, I don't route any other signal to 5-6 except the uncopressed one, I got that my problem is that I am not able to disable the playback through Main out of the signal routed to 5-6, but in the Totalmix that signal seem to go just in 5-6 so I don t get how it plays to main out...
There is a way that I send you a picture of my Totalmix settings?
Be patient, this are my first times on Totalmix smile

Thank you

Giacomo

You can upload it here and post the link: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/

Don´t forget to click on the main out in submix mode to show the routings to it and another image from the matrix view.

best regards
Knut

file:///Users/giacomobarboni/Desktop/Schermata%202011-01-15%20a%2016.39.33.png
file:///Users/giacomobarboni/Desktop/Schermata%202011-01-15%20a%2016.36.19.png

Thank you have a nice weekend!

We can not access images on your computer. You need to upload them somewhere and post the links here.

best regards
Knut

Can you please give me just a mail adress in which I can send the photos, because that one you send me is not working with my files, i tryed to send them in different formats..
I also don't get in the control room section how to connect my second pair of speakers, I connected to output 3-4 and try to find a way to control it in the control room section, also the manual is not clear at all on how to connect and control a second/third pair of speakers...so can you show me a straight forward way?
I used 003 interfaces, avid control24, motu interfaces with their cue mixes, I daily work as assistant in a HD system with an Otari mixer, I never had problems at all in setting up the routing for my needs... the Ufx interface is great, I am really happy, but sorry, I really find the manual and the layout of the Totalmix helpful for my setup which is pretty standard.
Do I need a separate monitor controller? I hope not..
Also thing of the hardware insert is pretty common nowadays in many Daw, as Cubase, Logic and Pro Tools....

Thanks

Can you please give me just a mail adress in which I can send the photos, because that one you send me is not working with my files, i tryed to send them in different formats..

Send it to press -at- rme-audio.de

I also don't get in the control room section how to connect my second pair of speakers, I connected to output 3-4 and try to find a way to control it in the control room section, also the manual is not clear at all on how to connect and control a second/third pair of speakers...so can you show me a straight forward way?

Assign MainOut B to output 3/4 pair with the Assign menu and it appears in the Control Room Section of TotalMix.

From the manual:
Assign. Allows to define the Main Out, Main Out B (Speaker B), and up to four Phones outs.

In the section Control Room the menu Assign is used to define the Main Out which is used for listening in the studio. For this output the functions Dim, Recall, Mono, Talkback and Mute FX are automatically applied. On the unit the VOLUME knob also follows this assignment. Additionally the channel will be shifted from the Hardware Outputs into the Control Room section, and renamed Main. The same happens when assigning Main Out B or the Phones. The original name can be displayed by the function O-Names in the View Options at any time.

Speak. B. Switches playback from Main Out to Main Out B. The faders of the channels Main and Speaker B can be ganged via Link.

best regards
Knut

For pictures, also try http://imageshack.us/
jpg usually works best.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Can anyone clearly describe to me how to create a hardware insert using Pro Tools 10 and my RME FF400?  I've been wrestling with this for a while and don't seem to be able to find clear instructions. 

I'd really like to use some outboard gear during mix down.  Also will Pro Tools 10 calculate the latency when the hardware is inserted?