Topic: Yamaha MSP7 Studio driven from HDSP 9632 - which Output Level?

I have hooked up a pair of Yamaha MSP7 Studio directly to a HDSP 9632 (balanced, XLR).

Speakers knobs say

+4dBu (at 12 o'clock)
-6dBu (at maximum)

Now I just need them at about 1/4. What Output Level should I choose in the DSP Settings for best "quality"?

HiGain
+ 4 dBu
- 10 dBV

Don't really understand the HiGain stuff. Can the MSP7 handle it or is it more "safe" to fire them just with +4 dBu?

Btw: I also get a bit of mouse moving noise and weird short static noises (at least when not playing any music). According to http://www.rane.com/note110.html I have to removed the shield from Pin 1 on the MSP7 side, right?

What's the source of the problem? The RME card (or the whole PC) or the MSP7?

Is it still a proper balanced connection with shield removed from Pin 1?

Re: Yamaha MSP7 Studio driven from HDSP 9632 - which Output Level?

Btw: At the moment I'm running with +4 dBu on the RME card (and "XLR" checked) with the MSP7 knobs at 1/4 volume. Normal listening level in TotalMix at around -28dB. Fine?

The higher the card's output level, the lower the speakers sensitivity, and the less noise you hear. I woudn't care a second what all these labels say but just set it up that it works according to that rule. At this time you waste around 28 dB SNR in your setup...

Balanced stays balanced even without any ground connection.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by Dandruff 2011-01-15 05:59:40)

MC wrote:

The higher the card's output level

This means HiGain + "XLR" unchecked, right? Wow, I can have the monitors at almost minimum level with this!

(Just sounds weird as I'm using the XLR breakout. Shouldn't this option be renamed to something else then? To me it always sounds like an "unbalanced/balanced" switch due to its name.)

In the Manual it also looks like "Don't uncheck XLR ...".

Bei Verwendung des Analog-XLR-Breakout Kabels ist im Settingsdialog 'Breakout Cable / XLR' anzuwählen, da der symmetrische Ausgangspegel sonst 6 dB zu hoch ist!

Obviously I was not talking about wrong configurations (XLR unchecked when using XLR) but just the reference levels available. Hi Gain and fader at -10 - that should be perfect already.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Obviously I was not talking about wrong configurations (XLR unchecked when using XLR) but just the reference levels available.

What's exactly wrong with XLR unckecked? Isn't it just another gain stage?

Yes, but the unit is not designed to be used in that configuration.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, thanks! Hi Gain + XLR checked then smile