Topic: TotalMix becoming unresponsive (OSX)

Hello,

I've noticed something strange since updating to the latest drivers/firmware.  At random, Totalmix will become mostly unresponsive: it won't let me move any faders at all, or they simply snap to 0; groups no longer function (moving one fader won't move the others), etc.  Also, opening previously saved presets has no effect, and I can't create any groups - clicking on a channel label simply turns red (enabling loop-back).

This is under OSX 10.6.5, FF Mixer 2.8.9, Fireface Settings shows version 2.89 (I think firmware is 2.77), kernel driver 2.89, etc.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Daneker
www.whinecellarstudio.com
2008 8-core Mac Pro/16GB RAM/10.6.7/Logic 9.1.4/FF800

Re: TotalMix becoming unresponsive (OSX)

What you describe happens when the command key is pressed. Hung somehow?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias, thanks for the response.  No, unfortunately nothing seems to cause this, and the Totalmix app itself hasn't completely hung - parts of it are still operational.  It simply won't let me adjust fader levels (or if they're not at unity they will snap to unity as soon as they're touch), create groups, etc.  It's like I'm locked out of making any changes.  Also, as I mentioned, it won't reflect any of my previously saved presets when recalled (I had some advanced routings which include loopback on several channels).

Very strange!

Jim Daneker

Matthias suggested that maybe your CMD key was hung somehow... Many of the phenomena you describe usually happen when you click while holding it...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/40/Apple_key.jpg/150px-Apple_key.jpg

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Matthias suggested that maybe your CMD key was hung somehow... Many of the phenomena you describe usually happen when you click while holding it...

No, all is well with my keyboard ;-)  In fact, wondering if there was something different in the latest firmware, I actually TRIED holding all combinations of modifier keys to try and regain control of Totalmix, and none of them had any effect.  When I rebooted this morning as was well again - we'll see what happens.

Regardless though, I still am not having any luck with loading previously saved presets.  I wonder - is it possible to load the previous firmware & drivers, or would that be asking for trouble?  I never had any problems in the previous 7 years with my beloved FF800 ;-)

Jim Daneker

It's not only about your physical keyboard. Some other software that you use could activate the CMD key or let it stay in a 'pressed' state. Such effects are seldom but known. You could clarify by trying other programs that use similar key/mouse shortcuts. If they work while the TM is 'hung' then it seems to be a TotalMix problem. The firmware can not do this.

About the presets: what are you doing and what happens exactly?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Well, I'm not doing anything out of the norm or using any special key macros or programs that "hold" a certain key.  I use Logic all day long which is heavily reliant on key commands, many of which also use modifier keys - all is well there.  Something is definitely out of whack with Totalmix as it's changing its behavior without any input from me - until I go to make a change and all of a sudden it won't let me!  I've also noticed that once it starts acting like this, it won't let me create groups anymore; it will only allow me to engage loopback.

As for presets, what happens is that I go to File > Open (or 'Open All Presets' - I have both types of files saved) but opening these files has no effect whatsoever.  Nothing gets recalled - no fader positions, labels, loopback status - nothing.  Also, when I booted up this morning I created a new preset from scratch then saved it.  Once it started acting up this afternoon, I tried recalling that preset - nothing.  No change.

I could take a screen capture video if you like and show you what it's doing - something's definitely not right.  Right now for example, I hit preset 1 which I've kept as a factory default.  The Phones submix has the faders at -6.0.  As soon as I try to move them, they snap to zero and then I can't move them at all.

Thanks Matthias for your responses - any other ideas?

Jim Daneker

When TM starts getting mad - is it enough to restart the program? Complete exit, not just the window.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I haven't found a consistent pattern yet.  It has helped once or twice, but other times it doesn't.  And I'm not of those "close the window" only guys - I'm a proper quitter ;-)  It does behave fine after a cold boot though; it just seems to start misbehaving after a while.

Thanks again for your replies - one of the many reasons I'm an RME fan.

Jim Daneker

If you find the time to try - does it help to switch off/on the FF 800? Or to exit TM, reset (off/on) the FF 800, restart TM?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Good morning... just cold-booted my rig (including FF800), and TM is acting strange right away.  At the moment it won't let me create groups.  I click the desired channels, they at least turn yellow, but moving one fader won't move the others.  This time, however, the loopback channels were at least activated and it remembered the channel labels.

Would there be any benefit to trashing preferences?  Or is there a way to hard reset the unit or re-flash the firmware?  Just curious...

Jim Daneker

I had this exact behavior, as the first post, happen to me last night. It hasn't happened since and never happened prior but I experienced the same exact thing. I can't really say that I was doing anything other than watching something on YouTube. I eventually went to Total mix to maybe adjust something and it went full volume (faders jumped to 0) and because unresponsive. Since this hasn't happened to me except for that one occasion, so far, I'm only providing this info to confirm that it's at least not isolated to whinecellerstudio's setup.

The system is Mac OSX 10.6.6, Driver/Mixer 2.89, latest firmware.