Topic: Fireface UC and Logic Express 9.1.3 problem

Hi,

I bought a RME Fireface UC 2 weeks ago and like it a lot.

However, I'm having weird behavior from Logic's part. I posted this in the Logic forum on apple's site too, since I suspect it's related to Logic and not the UC which is working flawlessly. But I figured I might ask here too, so here's the story :

I had Logic Express 8 and about a week or so after I got the RME, Logic wouldn't open (just after starting the computer); the icon would just keep bouncing until "application not responding" would appear when right-clicking on it. Thing is, it eventually open after a couple of tries, maybe about 10 to 15 minutes after my computer and soundcard are started. Once I get it to open, everything works flawlessly. I can quit Logic and restart it normally. I can shut down the soundcard, start it over and logic will open normally. The issue is when I start my computer.

So I reinstalled Logic, and it opened the first time. Shut down computer. After that, same issue.

So I bought Logic Express 9 thinking it might be a compatibility issue with LE8. Installed it, shut down computer, restart, same issue. I tried many things without success (different USB cables, deleting preferences, reinstalling the soundcard drivers and softwares, putting Logic into 64bit mode, launched apple hardware test and it found nothing wrong with the computer, searched the internets some more for similar issues - didn't find much, etc.) and then decided it might be a good idea to reinstall Mac OS X and start from scratch. So I did just that, and well, here I am, out of solution...

I just installed Mac OS X, Logic Express 9 and made the software updates. I then installed RME's drivers/softwares. Tried it from there, and I still got the same issue.

Logic won't open when I just started my computer. Even if my soundcard isn't plugged in, so that's what got me thinking it's probably a software issue (the soundcard works flawlessly). But getting the same issue after a clean install?

That's got me puzzled.

Any clue to what might be the cause of it?

Anything I should try?

Thanks,

JM

Re: Fireface UC and Logic Express 9.1.3 problem

I'm now 100% sure that it's not the RME drivers nor the Fireface that's causing this. Sorry for the false alarm.

If you find a solution or more info please also post here.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,

So it appears that the latest OSX update (10.6.6) has Spotlight indexing my Bootcamp partition (Windows partition) every time I start my computer, which is taking much of my computer resources, thus Logic is unable to open until it's done.

The solution, if you have a similar problem, is to go to the System Preferences, click on Spotlight, then under the Privacy tab, add the Bootcamp partition. Spotlight won't index that partition anymore, so when you start your computer, it will run normally, and Logic (or other apps that wouldn't open) should then work.

You can read more on that issue here :
Logic user discussion

And now, back to enjoying my Fireface UC...

Cheers,

JM

Spotlight can only index the Bootcamp (NTFS) partition if you have a write-enabled NTFS driver installed. Either the OS X update installed that (which hopefully means they fixed it, because it was buggy before) or you installed one. wink

I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled OSX and Logic only, made the software updates and still had the issue. It came with the software update, I didn't install it on purpose.

Interesting to say the least. I will install 10.6.6 on another harddisc to check this, or rather to check if the NTFS write-driver is error-free now. Apart from Appstore I don't see any reason to change too quickly to 10.6.6 btw.