Topic: Babyface + ADA8000, Is it a Good choice?

First of all, this is my first post here. Hi to everyone.

I was planning to upgrade mi equipment, i actually have a presonus Audiobox USB which does a nice job, but lacks lots of things(such us good preamps with no 30db gain minimum).

For that, i was planning to buy a Duet in the first step, since it is said that apogee converters are the best. But... i want to expand my inputs and outputs, so Duet is not for me. Then, my choices went to the new Babyface.

I am planning to use it with my future desktop(buying a new one this months) and macbook(to make recordings and that stuff). So, for more outputs, i think the costless add for the babyface is the Ada8000 so i can expand my babyface with 8 adittional I/O. I am gonna use some DIY preamps.

But i am no familiar with Adat Lightpipe, word clock and that stuff. Converters of the Ada8000 will depend in the clock of the babyface since it will sync it up by ADAT(babyface has no wordclock).

So my question is:

Is it Reliable to use in live operations? Like.. i am making a recording and ADAT sync fails and i screwed up a live recording?

Will it have jitter problems without external wordclock?

Is the babyface a good cost effective solution in my case? I would love to go in a better system like a 800, but the cost in my country is to high to afford to.

Thanks in advance, i apologize since my english is not that good, i am from Argentina.

Re: Babyface + ADA8000, Is it a Good choice?

The Babyface works with any ADAT converter - including the ADA8000.

Don´t worry about clock or jitter problems. One reason for the exceptional sound of the Babyface and other RME interfaces is the built-in SteadyClock technology. A super stable clock with jitter supression and clock refresh. Connect both devices with two optical lightpipe cables. Set the Babyface to clock master and the converter to clock slave. This should be a reliable setup for any recording.

best regards
Knut

Re: Babyface + ADA8000, Is it a Good choice?

Thanks knut, well its good to hear that, as i hate to have problems(thats what i love from mac and hate from windows tongue)

Well.. i will be buying it this months so thanks in advance, i will post my experience once i have it smile