Topic: Freezing for a few seconds when using the Windows volume controls

Hi,

I'm not very clued up on this stuff, so forgive me if I've made an obvious mistake.

I've got a HDSPe AIO that's updated to the latest firmware. Before I updated to the latest drivers, the volume controls in Windows never did anything, which was by design I believe. That was fine.

I've just updated to version 4.03 of the drivers and now the standards Windows volume controls do work, but I have a problem with them. If I click on the speaker icon in the system tray, the volume slider appears for adjusting the volume, but it's frozen. For a few seconds my mouse pointer turns into a "busy" icon, the fan in my PC ramps up, and I am unable to move the volume slider. After a few seconds, it unfreezes and goes back to working as normal and I can adjust the volume just fine. This happens every single time I try and bring up the volume slider.

I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro with all of the latest updates installed.

Re: Freezing for a few seconds when using the Windows volume controls

I tried to reproduce this behavior with 1 WDM device stereo, then 1 WDM device Multiclient (1-8), in both cases with a really bad old computer - and the fader moved like butter whipped. What are your settings?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by funksoul 2014-10-01 14:24:47)

I completely uninstalled the previous RME drivers, then installed the very latest. The only settings I changed were to select "Optical" under SPDIF Out, and to change the output level to -10 dBV, then I just raised the appropriate volume slider in TotalMix FX so I could hear music playing on my PC. Nothing complex at all.

The computer is a Core i7 3770K with 16GB of RAM, SSD etc. so it's far from an old machine.

That's not what I mean. How many and what kind of WDM devices are active/defined in the Settings dialog?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

When I originally installed the drivers, all of the WDM devices shown on the list below were selected by default, but this is how I've got it set up now: -

http://i.imgur.com/sbzaTRz.jpg

Unchecking all but those 2 (the only 2 I really need for now) has made the issue a little better, but the freezing is still there - it just doesn't occur for as long.

Ok, I'll check again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME