1 (edited by zykoss 2014-10-09 11:27:37)

Topic: HELP !! Multiface 1 and Windows 7 driver issue

Hi folks,

I face a serious issue and I don't know how to solve it. Let me explain :

In the past I used my Multiface 1 on Windows XP. Working on Cubase sx 3. It was perfect. The card was absolutely stable, and I was able to play a lot of VST instrument with a very low latency.

BUT

I changed my OS for Windows 7 home premium + Cubase 5 + NATIVE INSTRUMENT KOMPLETE 9. (nothing else on this computer).

The result is awful.

It seems that the asio drivers are completely out of order :

when I try to play a VST Instrument, even a very light one I ear a lot of "cracks", and when I play quick, the sound just stop until I play slowly.

My drivers are RME HDSP Series 4.0.3.0. I guess it's the one I'm supposed to use ?

Also I updated the card to hardware 55 version.

I contacted the support yesterday, they answered "no known issue" and made me test my computer using THESYCON latency check. This soft said that my computer is powerful enough to work with audio and good latency.

I really don't understand. I'm 90% sure that this is a driver issue. When I look at the performances (F12) in cubase, I see that ASIO perf is much higher than it should be. (sometime 100 % and red light alert).

Well, I really need help...

One last detail : when using XP I saw the RME mixtable in the corner of my screen. Now I can see it in C:/system/windows32 only.

Maybe I made mistake when parameterizing cubase ?

I don't know. I'm 100% sure that my computer is powerfull enough to deal with low latencies. I've build it specially for music work

I really need your help friends....

Thanks in advance for that

Lionel

Re: HELP !! Multiface 1 and Windows 7 driver issue

As indicated in my second mail, I don't consider this a driver issue. The ASIO performance meter within Cubase is in no way related to the driver. Please test higher buffer size settings and toggle the MMCSS option.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I reply to myself. (yes... we are 2 inside my head, but don't worry I am the boss)

It seems that I soloed the issue.

Maybe it will help other RME user :

it was a real mess with windows 7 and 4.0.3 drivers. So this is what I've done.

I pysically unistall the RME PCI card
then strated the computer
uninstall old drivers 4.0.3 and disable the onboard sound card of the mainboard in the device manager
shut of the computer (and switch off the 0/1 button on the back of the pc for 10 seconds)
Then restarted the computer
Shut off again
Install the PCI card on the slot and plug the cable to the multiface box
restart computer
execute the 404 install exe
shut off the computer  (and switch off the 0/1 button on the back of the pc for 10 seconds)
execute the update tool fut.zip
shut off the computer  (and switch off the 0/1 button on the back of the pc for 10 seconds)

IT WOOOOORKS !!!!!

the funny thing is that Windows 7 says that no sound device is installed. (I think the reason is that our multiface is not a "multimedia" sound card).

But it seems to work fine in cubase, even with heavy VSTI plug ins.

no more cracks, no more latency.

As I'm french (alchoolic in other words), I'll open a nice wine bottle to celebrate. This issue took me 3 days but I succeed !!!!!!

While your procedure seems unnecessarily complicated, good to hear it's working. I would still maintain that the driver is in no way involved in VSTi and plugins...

As for the "no sound device", please check the number of active WDM devices in the HDSP settings, might be at 0...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME