1 (edited by Siegfried Meier 2014-10-12 21:26:44)

Topic: 64 Bit HDSP AIO No Longer Working

Hey guys,

Our system has been running great for several years on 32 bit, but the new UAD software has forced us into 64 bit.  This weekend I spent a few days reinstalling 64 Bit Windows 7 and all the software.  Everything works, except our AIO card now...which unfortunately is the most important thing I need to work.

I get clocking error message in Samplitude, and the Sample Rate in the RME panel shows up in red (when I can actually get it open).  IRQ's don't show any conflicts, and I even did a BIOS update just in case.  I tried updating the RME Firmware but the app freezes and does nothing...

How can this thing have worked perfectly before and not now with a 64 bit install?  Makes no sense...

Here's a screenshot of what's going on:

http://www.siegfriedmeier.com/electroni … orking.jpg

Really hope we can sort this out fast as nothing works at all now.

Thanks,
Sig

Re: 64 Bit HDSP AIO No Longer Working

So, after wasting most of the day trying to get this to work, I decided to pull apart the machine again and stick the RME card into our trusty old PCIe Mac Pro 1,1.  At first, upon bootup the RME software would crash, so I installed the 4.x update and then tried to flash the card on this platform - didn't think it would do anything, since it refused to update on Windows 7.  Lo and behold, the Firmware update did indeed work, and after putting the card back into the Windows 7 machine it now magically works.

I guess it just needed a real computer and operating system to perform the update?  Windows...pffft what a JOKE!  I grow more and more tired of this architecture as time goes on.  I have one app that I rely on these days, and that's Samplitude.  If it weren't for that, there wouldn't be a copy of Windows 50 miles from my studio.

Time for a beer.

Sig

Certainly not a WIndows issue, contrary to common prejudice and misconception about "real computers"... :-)
Most likely your 64 bit installation had "balanced" energy options configured, with PCIe power saving activated, which prevents correct operation of the card. The new firmware in turn prevents PCIe power saving...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

I've changed nothing with the Win64 install or the BIOS at this point.  Can you explain why the card works now?

Why couldn't I update the Firmware on Windows?  Why did it work on Mac OSX?

Thanks,
Sig

Siegfried Meier wrote:

I've changed nothing with the Win64 install or the BIOS at this point.  Can you explain why the card works now? Why couldn't I update the Firmware on Windows?

You left the energy profile settings at default, including PCIe power saving, which will affect the card's operation. The card's new firmware explicitly tells the mainboard not to do so, despite BIOS/Windows settings.

Why did it work on Mac OSX?

Nothing to do with OSX. Just no similar PCIe power saving going on there, which is why the card was able to operate correctly and why the update was successful.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

6 (edited by Siegfried Meier 2014-10-13 15:12:00)

Thanks Daniel, much appreciated.  I don't know how I was expected to know this - the Flash tool readme only says "PCIe Power Management changed" and the driver install readme mentions nothing about this at all.  It seems to me that this is a pretty critical thing related to the card, and the information should have been very clearly labelled and laid out somewhere obvious.

Also, if the PCIe power saving is at default now, it would also have been on the 32 bit install of Windows, and the card worked perfectly fine for the past 2+ years.

Either way, glad I was able to sort it out without having to resort to shipping the card off.

Thanks!
Sig