Topic: Why is MUTE global in TotalMix?

When you mute an input channel in TotalMix the channel is muted on all outputs, not just the active submix. This has always annoyed me and I was hoping it would be changed in TotalMixFX. But it's still the same.

While I admit that there may be cases when you want to mute an input signal for all monitor mixes, I think there are much more cases in which you want to mute a channel for only one monitor mix (e.g. the control room mix).

This is why, to my knowledge, in most analog consoles a pre-fader aux send still receives signal from a muted channel. This way, the recording engineer can mute a channel in his CR-mix while the artists still hear the signal through their headphones.

At least I think it would be great if there was an option that makes the Mute button individual for each submix instead of global.

Re: Why is MUTE global in TotalMix?

It's been a while since I posted this but nobody replied. I'd still like to hear from RME or other users what they think about the Mute function in TotalMix.

Hi

Unfortunately at the moment there doesn't appear to be a fix for the global muting.

There is a workaround of sorts. If you clear a mute group, and then edit a new group and leave it in mute group editing mode, then mutes will be local to the submix. However, this prevents solo from working, so it's only useful if you really need safe muting.

4 (edited by jbaylies 2022-09-14 16:52:32)

found this thread by searching "solo mute"

I agree that it would be great if there were an option that makes the Mute button individual for each submix instead of acting on every submix.

That workaround is neat smile

I also wish there were a button to mute yourself for everyone except yourself, so you can dial in a wacky effect before subjecting everyone else to it. I'm not sure what the best UI would be for that.

I've been using a RME FF800 for 10 separate headphone monitor mixes and it's working very well, otherwise!