Topic: FF800 with TotalMix FX - Headphone Mix issue

Hi,

I've had a strange issue since updating from the old totalmix to totalmix FX with my RME 800. I'm using Cubase 5 as my DAW. It's a little bit hard to explain but here goes...

I have outboard gear occupying most of my I/O.

For some reason whenever if I add the stereo external effect (using I/O 3&4) in Cubase to the master bus, my headphones and speakers get a different mix.

The speakers get the 'processed' mix (i.e. what it sounds like through the outboard effect), but my headphones get an unprocessed 'direct' mix (not through the outboard). Even if I interrupt the signal by turning off the outboard - I still get output to the headphones, even though in Cubase the master bus fader is at 0 and there is no output to the speakers.

I've tried to reset the submix and everything to default in totalmix but it doesn't seem to change anything.

I figured there must be some strange routing going on...

So is there a simple way to 'duplicate' the output configuration from my speakers to the headphones?

Thanks

Re: FF800 with TotalMix FX - Headphone Mix issue

This threw me for a loop too. The matrix now starts up with a lot of new routing that you won't be used to in windows at least. Every output was sent to my main bus al a how the headphones are usually set up. Had me scratching my head. Hit reset and I was even more confused. Have you noticed that it is impossible to turn off direct monitoring? Studio sends in Nuendo seem to always reach the headphone mix even if direct monitoring is off and disabled. Not a big deal but I have a headphone amplifier that feeds back a "me mix" already so I would love to get rid of that soon! If I am missing something please let me know!

Re: FF800 with TotalMix FX - Headphone Mix issue

Hey about your headphone mix question!

Just set up a studio send for the headphones and assign the outputs in your VST connections. Then use the studio sends. You should get what you are looking for.

Using the matrix for this could be a little confusing to describe!