Topic: HDSP 9652 S/PDIF to AES/EBU Wiring

I built the cables as per the manual with good Mogami 110 ohm cable. If both the S/PDIF in and out are connected to my Sony DMX-R100 AES/EBU (program out & 2TRK return), I get nothing on the output, even though the DMX-R100 shows everything is in working order. If I connect one OR the other, they work fine? Any ideas on why this is so? I've always had a pro DAT machine attached (in & out) via the AES/EBU and it worked great?

I also get quite a bit of hum out of the computer's sound card (not the HDSP 9652) when the cables are plugged in? Could this be because of the 'floating' ground on the RCA plug as the manual suggests?

Any thoughts on this subject would be most appreciated... I've racked my brain.

ZazaCast Productions
USA

Re: HDSP 9652 S/PDIF to AES/EBU Wiring

The wiring might not match the one needed. Are you sure you didn't exchange pin 3 and 1 in the XLR? Is there maybe a clocking problem? Who is master/slave? Is the 9652 on firmware 108?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The wiring might not match the one needed. Are you sure you didn't exchange pin 3 and 1 in the XLR? Is there maybe a clocking problem? Who is master/slave? Is the 9652 on firmware 108?

XLR pins are wired correctly, checked that three times. Plus, the console shows that it is seeing everything and it is in sync.
XLR pin 2 - RCA tip
XLR pin 3 - RCA sleeve
XLR pin 1 - no connection

The console is the master clock... The card shows everything in sync too. It sees all ADAT in/out & S/PDIF (professional).

All firmware & software (Totalmix FX) is up to date.

I'll check all of this again, but everything is working great (love the card!). My latest thought is that that floating ground is causing the problem. Would it hurt the card if I tried connecting XLR pin 1 (the ground) to the RCA sleeve?

Thank you for the quick reply.

ZazaCast Productions
USA

It doesn't hurt, just try it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

It doesn't hurt, just try it.

WOW .... Best forum ever! Thank you MC for such a quick reply.
I'll try the new wiring and post the result.

Thanks again!

ZazaCast Productions
USA

Problem solved! That did the trick... so, if you're a dinosaur like me and you're using the HDSP 9652 card with a Sony DMX-R100 console (aka Baby Oxford), wire the AES/EBU cables as follows:
XLR pin 2 - RCA tip
XLR pin 3 - RCA sleeve
XLR pin 1 - RCA sleeve

This now allows me to mix from the DAW (Presonus Studio One V2) through the console using all my outboard gear, back into the DAW...and all the time monitoring via S/PDIF or program outs. Excellent! No noise, no hum, clean as a whistle.

Thank you again MC for your help.... I just didn't want to burnout the S/PDIF's on the card by attaching that ground.
Best,
-Zaza

ZazaCast Productions
USA