1 (edited by fslix 2010-01-31 18:54:00)

Topic: RME HDSP AES-32 and Windows 7 64-bit

With an RME HDSP(e) AES-32, will I be able to use it on my Windows 7 64-bit box with Cubase 5.1 64-bit?

Coniguration

X58 Chipset
Core i7 960
12 GB DDR-3 RAM
Corsair SSD
Windows 7 64-bit

I don't see a windows 7 64-bit specific driver to download, this is why I am asking?

Re: RME HDSP AES-32 and Windows 7 64-bit

Your problem will be the X58 chipset, which is known to be incompatible (search this forum).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

umm what? there is NO incompatibility with X58.
what there is IS
if you choose the wrong motherboard PCI/PCIe cards may not function correctly
this is the bios defect (+ more) not a chipset defect

to the OP it wil work fine in 64bit with the right Motherboard

scott
ADK

Scott, these are good news. So far the Intel X58SO mobo definitely IS incompatible (we bought one ourself to check - no go). As you say (and someone else already confirmed in a different thread) other X58 motherboards seem to work, so I really wonder what Intel did here...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hey MC ,
i will email you what was really bad and Yes Intel was one of those no matter what card we installed no go. in fact we tested it also for video
even an Intel raid card on the Intel motherboard would not work LOL nor would a Firewire card. yes it was that bad.
Foxconn was another (whom makes Intel boards so no surprise there)
in fact the list is very small for what does work (manufacturer wise) and even with in the same manufacturer you can have boards that do and boards that dont.

Scott

MC wrote:

Scott, these are good news. So far the Intel X58SO mobo definitely IS incompatible (we bought one ourself to check - no go). As you say (and someone else already confirmed in a different thread) other X58 motherboards seem to work, so I really wonder what Intel did here...

Are you in contact with Intel about that?

I opened up a case at Intel today.   Seems like I was the first one, they had nothing on file.   We'll see!

Cool, thanks!

we were in contact with Intel well over a yr ago. all the way up to 3rd level engineers.

So they just confirmed it without fixing anything?

they would neither confirm nor deny basically...
we have a good relationship witih Intel however the company is vast and 1 set of enginneers have no clue what the others are doing.
while we have access to 3rd level it seems getting those guys to talk with each other well....
its no different than when we brought the Dp35 board issues to them (used to work great with multiple UADs) then a bios change blew it up.
several bios late it was sorta fixed then they broke it again. arghgh needless to say we have moved to another board before the first fix.
we gave up quickly anyway as the Intel X58 has only 4 memory slots (3 useable) and was a rather useless board to begin with.

Scott
ADK

Khorus wrote:

I opened up a case at Intel today.   Seems like I was the first one, they had nothing on file.   We'll see!

There's a new BIOS available for the Intel DX58SO: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ … rodId=3018

BIOS Version 5020 - SOX5810J.86A.5020.2010.0224.0938

About This Release:
? February 24, 2010
? SATA RAID Option ROM: 8.9.0.1023
? LAN Option ROM: Intel(R) Boot Agent PXE GE v1.3.24
? LAN Option ROM: Intel(R) Boot Agent PXE Base Code (PXE-2.1 build 086)

New Fixes/Features:
? Added support for Intel?s 6-core desktop processor, codenamed ?Gulftown?.
? Fixed watchdog timer and host clock display issues for XTU2.
? Fixed issue that was causing IFlash and Express BIOS Update to fail on subsequent flash updates.
? Reduced pre-video boot time by about 7 seconds.
? Added support to check the IOH stepping and if it is a B2 or earlier then set ?QPI Power Management? default setting to disabled and if it is a B3 or later then set the default to enabled.
? Fixed setup option default setting for CPU C-States to be enabled and IMON to be disabled.
? Fixed issue with watchdog timer when running in the operating system and changing from one processor to another.
? Fixed XMP related issues:
o When an XMP profile was selected the host clock was unchangeable.
o When selecting Automatic mode the Uncore Multiplier was being set to 22 instead of the proper system default.
o When selecting Manual mode the minimum supported ratio between Memory Ratio and the Uncore Multiplier will be used based on the processor installed.
? Fixed issue where the PCIe Compliance bit was being set incorrectly causing Secondary Boot Request to cause some cards to fail to train correctly.
? Set VT to be enabled by default.
? Fixed issue preventing greater than 160 for the Host Clock.

Someone can try it with a RME HDSPe card?

We just tested, and there has been zero difference to before, like:

- HDSPe AES card in slot 1 is not detected
- HDSPe AES card in x16 slot, no boot
- HDSPe PCI not detected

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the reply Matthias! That's too bad.

Does anyone have experience with Supermicro C7X58: http://www.supermicro.com/products/moth … /C7X58.cfm ?

15 (edited by Dandruff 2010-04-23 09:26:35)

Any news with the latest BIOS 5200 for the Intel DX58SO?

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ … rodId=3018

BIOS Version 5200 - SOX5810J.86A.5200.2010.0414.1420

About This Release:
? April 14, 2010
? LAN Option ROM: Intel(R) Boot Agent PXE GE v1.3.51

New Fixes/Features:
? Fixed issue where watchdog timeout in operating system is not setting defaults.
? Fixed issue where operating system fails to resume from hibernation when user enters BIOS Setup during POST.
? Fixed issue where setting the Host Clock to 133 (default of 135) would hang the system.
? Added check to only display logo that is less than or equal to supported resolution 1024x768.
? Fixed issue where UEFI bootable devices are not recognized when AHCI/RAID is enabled.
? Added workaround for issue where system would hang just before INT19 when there is a large amount of USB traffic.
? Fixed issue where USB keyboard/mouse is not detected when UEFI boot is enabled.
? Added support allowing tRFC to be set to 140.
? Fixed setup display issue with 2.25 TB hard disk.
? Fixed issue where the Intel? Integrator Toolkit Map file contains features not supported on the board.
? Fixed Performance Status display with certain processors showing wrong multipliers.
? Fixed issue where string in BIOS does not match board silk screening (Processor vs CPU).
? Updated processor support.

BIOS Version 5112 - SOX5810J.86A.5112.2010.0316.1030

About This Release:
? March 16, 2010
? LAN Option ROM: Intel(R) Boot Agent PXE GE v1.3.51

New Fixes/Features:
? Fixed system hang issue when programming host clock to 133.
? Improved WatchDog handling.
? Resolved issue where ITK Map file contains features not supported on the board.
? Removed display of POST code 0x70 on SMM entry.
? Updated PXE UNDI to latest version 1.3.51.

Dandruff wrote:

Thanks for the reply Matthias! That's too bad.

Does anyone have experience with Supermicro C7X58: http://www.supermicro.com/products/moth … /C7X58.cfm ?

Hi,
I own Supermicro C7X58, first hardware revision but with latest 1.1a BIOS.
I have success with this motherboard and hdspe AIO installed in the southbridge PCIe 4X slot.
I had to disable "Active State Power Management" option in BIOS to avoid the complete freeze of the workstation.
Done this all seems fine.
To reduce latency and noise you can also disable "C1E Support" and "C-STATE Tech" in the BIOS processor menu.

Regards,
Stefano

Ok, thank you! Sounds good. Look like that's the one I need to buy then.

18 (edited by vbmusic 2010-05-20 19:50:14)

MC wrote:

Your problem will be the X58 chipset, which is known to be incompatible (search this forum).

Hi! New to the forums here.
@Matthias. I am planning to buy an HDSPe aes 32 and a new PC with X58 motherboard and I would like to know if you still consider that there are issues with x58 chipset regardless of a specific motherboard (Intel DX58SO). I've been reading the forums for a few months now with a few success stories and lots of people having problems as well. I would appreciate if you have any feedback beyond what is posted here. Would you recommend an x58 board right now or not at all?

best regards,
vb

I don't know what I am doing wrong and everything I post appears to me as double post. Could please some of the moderators inform me? Thanks in advance.

19 (edited by Dandruff 2010-05-21 10:18:05)

New BIOS 5314 for the Intel DX58SO:

BIOS Version 5314 - SOX5810J.86A.5314.2010.0511.1115

New Fixes/Features:
? Added ECC Support.
? Fixed issue where watchdog timeout in operating system does not set defaults.
? Fixed system hang issue for XMP 2400.
? Fixed issue where boot order was not synchronized in Intel? Integrator Assistant when boot order is hidden.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ … rodId=3018

Still not working with RME PCIe cards?

vbmusic wrote:
MC wrote:

Hi! New to the forums here.
@Matthias. I am planning to buy an HDSPe aes 32 and a new PC with X58 motherboard and I would like to know if you still consider that there are issues with x58 chipset regardless of a specific motherboard (Intel DX58SO). I've been reading the forums for a few months now with a few success stories and lots of people having problems as well. I would appreciate if you have any feedback beyond what is posted here. Would you recommend an x58 board right now or not at all?

best regards,
vb

Could we please have an answer in the above questions? As the situation holds now should the x58 platform in general be avoided? Is there another chipset of the current generation that is preferred over x58?
Matthias & other members of RME support. Your advise on this will be a great help for all of us who plan to built an new PC right now. Thanks in advance

It appears that I won't receive any official reply to my question. So what do the other members think? Is it a safe bet to use Vista/WinXP rather than Win7 with an x58 PC/RME HDSPAES32 setup or should I consider another hardware platform?

Intel DX58SO now is at BIOS version 5529. Still not working?

They also have a new DX58SO2 board. Working?

Supermicro C7X58 now is at BIOS version 2.0. Working?

Old post, I know, but didn't check it prior to buying an AES32 HDSPe and have an Intel X58SO based DAW which was working flawlessly with my trusty old multiface for many years.

After inserting the AES PCIe card didn't got recognized and the BIOS was showing "empty slot". The BIOS version was from 2012 I think  (don't remember the exact version number)

To make a long story short, after updating BIOS to latest version (5600) the card is now getting recognized. The card is inserted in the lowest PCIe x1 slot.

....and working fine even at lowest latency settings