Topic: RayDAT and Word Clock Module

I just upgraded my DAW to a Windows 7x64 system with a new RayDAT.  I have two ADI8-DS converters. I also purchased the word-clock module for my RayDAT.

I upgraded the firmware and the drivers to the latest versions, and I can get everything to sync if I don't use the Word Clock.  Syncing using ADAT 1 (48k) works fine. However, I was hoping to sync everything using the word-clock.

My questions are:

Should I bother?
Do I gain anything?
Will I gain something if I purchase an external clock (i.e. Big-Ben)?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Tom Battaglia
Montana, USA

2 (edited by isaac 2011-10-17 23:08:31)

Re: RayDAT and Word Clock Module

tfbattag wrote:

I just upgraded my DAW to a Windows 7x64 system with a new RayDAT.  I have two ADI8-DS converters. I also purchased the word-clock module for my RayDAT.

I upgraded the firmware and the drivers to the latest versions, and I can get everything to sync if I don't use the Word Clock.  Syncing using ADAT 1 (48k) works fine. However, I was hoping to sync everything using the word-clock.

My questions are:

Should I bother?
Do I gain anything?
Will I gain something if I purchase an external clock (i.e. Big-Ben)?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Tom Battaglia
Montana, USA

1: No
2: No
3: No
:-) RME gear is designed to sync just as well from any source (ie. Internal, WC, ADAT, SPDIF,AES)

I'm using WC on my multiface only because I'm syncing my mic pre to the multiface. My multiple multiface setup is synced via SPDIF.

Hope this helps,

Isaac P

edit: Having WC is a great bonus though. If you are clocking over WC and you need to add devices it's as simple as adding another WC cable and setting new device to sync off that.

In a live recording situation I will often use both ADAT and WC cables, so I have a failover if needed. (I did use it recently as well!)

If you cable for both then you have options.

Actually I don't think the ADI-8 and ADI-8 DS use "SteadyClock" like the RayDat and the upper-end converters do.  So you might end up with a bit less jitter on the slaved ADI-8 DS if you use BNC-WC instead of ADAT.

Makethe "Primary" ADI-8 DS the system master (always use this unit's I/O first - EG: Overdubs, etc), and sync the other ADI-8 over BNC.  The RayDat would probably be fine syncing to ADAT since it does have SteadyClock and isn't even doing any conversion of its own (Jitter is only a real issue at the AD/DA stage, not at the digital transfer stage).  As Isaac mentioned, running BNC to the RayDat would be an ideal way to have ADAT as a failsafe sync backup :-)

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

The ADI-8 Pro/AE/DS sync perfectly and with lowest jitter to ADAT input. You gain nothing by using word clock.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Wow - News to me!  Why did the QS get "SteadyClock" if there isn't any need for it based on the Pro and DS ADAT Sync statements made above?  I guess the QS' MADI option pretty much necessitated the addition of SteadyClock?

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

6 (edited by Dux 2015-01-26 23:39:22)

I have a little question regarding RayDAT and the Word Clock module. If I had two RayDATs, do I have to buy two additional Word Clock modules or just one will suffice to sync them both to a Word Clock?

Thank you in advance. Great forum.

Cheers!

One is enough as you can sync the two internally.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you very much! It seemed logical to me, but I just wanted to be sure.

Cheers!

My problem is solved and everything is "in sync". Thx again for the help.
My Sync Master is now the Focusrite ISA one. The Midas XL48 is synchronized via word clock from the ISA one.

Originally I thought the Raydat can just sync all ADATs somehow "magically" because the ISA one was working fine with ADAT without beeing in sync. I not really understand it.
Anyway...thanks for help.

I'm a big RME fan. Simply the best sound cards out there. For example that I can use my old Fireface400 as an ADAT AD/DA converter. Thats awesome!